Sydney Alnemy ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
Major: Biology (B.S.)
Minor: Chemistry
Master’s program: Biotechnology

Her Campus: How did you become interested in your areas of study?
Sydney Alnemy: When I was a sophomore in High School I took AP Biology and my teacher asked me what I wanted to go to college for, I replied that I had no idea. He said that I would be a great biology student, so I bought a book on “What to do with a biology degree” and I was overwhelmed with the possibilities. All I knew was that I was good at being a student and I loved the scientific method, so I combined them by pursuing an education that would prepare me for a career in biological research.

HC: What has it been like as a women in a typically male dominated field?
SA: I’m sure science is not very different from other professional fields in terms of gender roles and expectations. It is very difficult to be taken seriously as a woman when your workplace is mostly men, especially when you’re still trying to learn so much about scientific concepts that your colleagues may already understand. Sometimes it appears that men are more confident in their answer when approached with a scientific question, but I’ve learned that as undergraduates we’re all in the same boat, despite gender! That’s been very comforting.

HC: What are your plans/goals post-graduation?
SA: I’m enrolled in the 5 year dual degree program at Brandeis for the B.S./M.S. in Biotechnology, which will prepare me for a career in either pharmaceutical industry or further biological research. I’m currently an assistant researcher for the Rosbash lab and I maintain a project there, so I would love to continue to practice biology in more of a research setting that has real impacts on humans today. I’m mostly interested in genetic disorders and how we can better identify them early on, and hopefully treat them.

HC: How did you get involved in greek life?
SA: I was a midyear student in the Spring of 2011 and it was hard to meet other freshman who weren’t Midyears. I went to some parties during Recruitment that first week of school without knowing that it was even hosted by Greek life half of the time. I had completely written it off as an option until I went to a smaller event hosted by Kappa Beta Gamma and I instantly felt a connection with the Founders. They were just down to earth and weren’t afraid to be who they were. It was really was “what you see is what you get” and I knew that I wanted to be with girls like that for the next four years.

HC: What are the best and worst parts about greek life at Brandeis?
SA: The best part about being in a sorority is that there are no awkward moments when you want to hang out with someone and you’re not sure if they want to hang out with you too. It’s the best feeling in the world to be able to call 35 girls when you’re having trouble at school, home or in your relationship. When you hang out with even one sister it has the same effect as walking into your home that you grew up in. It’s hard work, just like being in a crazy family, but it’s worth it. And then we get the network of not only our sisters but all the different members of the other organizations. For example, I frequently meet and chat with SDT’s and DPhiE’s presidents and it’s great to be able to have that same level of comfort and discretion with them that I do with my own sisters.
The downside of Greek life at Brandeis is that since we’re not recognized on campus there is a negative stigma associated with being in a fraternity or sorority. Although organizations appreciate the freedom we have as a result of not being recognized, it is very disappointing to overhear tour guides telling prospective students that there is absolutely no Greek life at Brandeis. At the end of the day we’re all Brandeis students and we should respect everyone’s extracurricular activities. Different things work for different people.

HC: What advice would you give to new freshman looking to join a sorority?
SA: Regardless of what year you are, it is crucial to check out all three sororities and see where you feel most at home. For freshman, recruitment is a great opportunity to get to know your peers outside of the classroom and make friends that will last a long time, regardless of whether or not you end up joining Greek life. My ultimate advice is to have fun during recruitment!! Really be yourself and see who you can picture calling your sisters. If you want to give the sisters something to remember about you, confidence is the key! And don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions.

HC: What advice would you give about balancing a heavy course load with staying social?
SA: Right off the bat, you have to decide what kind of college experience you want. I knew that I could not function as a person unless I put the textbook down once in a while and went out with my friends for a night. It’s important to always remember that you’re here for an education first (and an expensive one at that) and then be able to recognize when you’re going out because you’re avoiding doing work, or you’re going out because you’ve done too much work. As a generation ridden with “FOMO” it can be very difficult to decline invitations, but every time you feel like you’re missing out just remember that getting an A on that exam is worth a lot more than probably anything you were going to do otherwise. And there will always be more invitations!!

HC: Tell us more about anything else you’re involved in on campus.
SA: Being president of KBG and having a research project in a lab really takes up a lot of my extra time. However off campus I’m an intern for an online publishing company called Entangled. I get to read new manuscripts and essentially tell the company if I think it should go to publishing. That serves as a great break from doing science 24/7. When the opportunity arises I also LOVE to play intramural volley ball. I played in high school and it’s a great stress-reliever. 

HC: What’s something most people don’t know about you?
SA: I know sometimes it’s obvious that I’m a nerd, but I don’t think people realize the full extent of it. My senior quote in high school was “Live long and proper” from Star Trek and I could sit and play the video game Zelda on any gaming console for hours. I would like to blame my dad for exposing me to those things to begin with, but I can’t deny that I love being a dork.

What’s your…
Favorite movie: Anything with Colin Firth or Hugh Grant. I’m a sucker for British romance comedies. I love the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice.
Favorite TV show: I go through phases but my steady favorite is Saturday Night Live (SNL). Most of those female comedians are my heroes.
Favorite place you’ve visited: Edinburgh, Scotland. Everyone is very blunt but friendly and conversations are easy. The endless green landscape is like nothing I’ve ever seen before.
Pet peeve: For some reason I HATE when people describe how delicious food is while they’re still eating it. I always have to change the channel at the part on the Food Network when they’re about to taste what they just cooked.
Secret skill or talent: It might seem superficial but I’m a huge fan of all things cosmetic, mostly make-up. I think it’s really an art-form and I love doing up my own face or friends faces.
Favorite class you’ve taken at Brandeis: It’s a tough choice between Irish literature with John Plotz and Diseases of the Mind with Melissa Kosinski-Collins. I might have to go with Irish literature just because it was not held at 8 AM.

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.