Summer: Keeping a Relationship Alive Long-Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Many collegiettes face the inevitable, bittersweet dilemma of going home for the summer where they will be away from their significant other. As someone who has had to do this, I feel that I may be able to offer a little advice.

Keep in touch, but be present
It’s great to text, skype, call, facebook chat, and so on with your boyfriend or girlfriend over the summer when you are not living within a few hundred feet of each other, however, make sure that you also enjoy your friends and family at home and don’t spend every minute glued to your cell phone or computer.

Pick a day to check-in

Picking a day to check-in can be really helpful. This will be especially true if either or both of you have a busy schedule. Select a day and time that you can both commit to checking in with one another on a weekly basis (i.e. Saturday at 1p.m.). This way you have something to look forward to!

Don’t worry!
Trust in your relationship, and don’t worry if your boyfriend or girlfriend takes a couple of hours to respond to your text or to call you back. Give him/her the benefit of the doubt!

Schedule a Trip
Schedule a trip so that you can see each other over the summer. Either plan a mini-vacation for just the two of you or invite your boyfriend or girlfriend to stay with you and your family for a week or so.

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.