Her Campus Logo Her Campus Logo

Steps to Declaring a Major or Minor

As many of you know, undergraduate students are required to declare a major by their fourth semester of school. Take a look at the steps below to see how you can get started declaring:

1. Schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Advising Head (UAH) for the major or minor that you wish to add, drop or change. You can find a list of Undergraduate Advising Heads on the Academic Services website.

2.  To prepare for your appointment, list the courses you’ve already taken in the table on page 2 and review your major/minor’s requirements in the University Bulletin.

3. Meet with the UAH and discuss what you prepared. If applicable, bring syllabi for courses taken outside of Brandeis University to the appointment. If the UAH determines that a course can count towards a major/minor requirement, complete the online Petition to Request a Substitution for a Major/Minor Requirement which can be accessed here: http://www.brandeis.edu/registrar/forms/transfer-credit.html.

4. Some departments will electronically report the major/minor information or change of advisor to the Office of the University Registrar. Others will ask the student to bring a completed copy of this form to the Office of the University Registrar. Please note that this form will be accepted by the Office of the University Registrar only if signed by the department Undergraduate Advising Head.

5. Study Abroad: If you are declaring your majors/minors as a part of your study abroad application, please note that some departments have different faculty assigned to approve credit taken from abroad. Please see the following website for a list of current Study Abroad Liaisons: http://www.brandeis.edu/acserv/abroad/applying/depts/index.html.

6. Do not use this form to declare a major in Business, Biology, HSSP or Neuroscience.

· To declare a business major or minor, please see the links below: o Business Major: http://www.brandeis.edu/programs/business/major/apply.html or Business Minor: http://www.brandeis.edu/programs/business/minor/declare.html

· To declare a major in Biology or Neuroscience, please see this link: https://fm12web.brandeis.edu/fmi/iwp/res/iwp_auth.html.

You will need to log in with your Brandeis ID and password and have you SAGE ID and planned course list ready.

 · To declare a major or minor in HSSP, please contact the HSSP UAH, Professor Sarah Curi via [email protected]. She will send you the necessary materials for declaring an HSSP major or minor. Once you have reviewed and completed the form, please make an appointment with Professor Curi to review your form and declare your HSSP degree.

Omitting or providing an incorrect SAGE ID can cause delays or errors in processing your request. You can find your SAGE ID by logging into your Student Center in SAGE. Click the button “find my SAGE id #” at the top of the page.

This list can also be found here, along with the form required to complete your declaration. This form can also be used to drop or change a major or minor. It can be scary to think about switching from “Undecided” to a real life major! Use this list to minimize stress and stay calm. 

Picture Source: http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/app/uploads/grads.jpg 

Similar Reads👯‍♀️