Spotlight on Spring Trends: NEON

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

This year, Fashion Week 2012 runways not only featured the typical spring trends such as pretty pastels, florals, and all-white ensembles, but also fantastic pops of color in neon. Embraced by designers like Celine, Chanel, and Diane von Furstenberg, this trend is not for the faint of heart. That being said, she who finds the way to rock neon that suits her best will feel confident, look fierce, and surely turn heads.
To some, the thought of wearing such bold hues might be overwhelming. Fret not! An easy and almost surefire way to wear neon is by pairing it with a neutral color like black, gray, camel, and chocolate brown. However, white can also create a beautiful brightening effect on any outfit.  If you wear neon on top, make sure to wear neutral bottoms in order to balance out your look.

Jeralyn Hawes ’12 demonstrates an easy way to transition a bright piece from day to night.  Her day outfit consists of a versatile yellow, satin tunic, a pair of black leggings, and nude heels (which are great for visually elongating legs). For her night outfit, Jeralyn simply replaced the leggings with white pants, tucked in her tunic, threw on a black blazer, and kept the nude heels. Both outfits are wearable to work, a romantic date, and/or a night out with the girls.

Another way to incorporate neon into your look is through your accessories. This can be achieved with a bright watch band (such as this one from La Mer), a colorful purse or clutch (similar to this one from Rebecca Minkoff), a fluorescent belt (like this one, from ASOS), or a great pair of shoes (from Steve Madden).  I’ve also seen my friends wear neon nail polish, which looks especially good in the summertime against sun-kissed skin.
Feeling daring today? Try an extreme color-blocking scheme, like this Ruffian ensemble shown on Marie Claire.  
However you wear it, remember that neon should serve as an element of surprise in your outfit. Feel free to share any neon-inspired outfits you wear in the comment box below!  

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.