Snack Healthy at the C-Store

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Exam season has snuck up on us and, for many of us, so have unhealthy eating habits due to the pressures and stress we face. Here are some easy, healthy suggestions for snacks that can be bought in the C-store to keep you fit to fight for finals.

Pretzels

I’m a big fan of either the cheddar flavored or the honey-mustard ones. If you want something special, the chocolate or yogurt covered ones are excellent. 

Yogurt

Try any flavor Chobani or Stonyfield Farm chocolate yogurt.

Trail mix/ nuts/ dried fruit

These options are healthy, but not low in fat.

Veggie chips/sticks

Although supposedly low in calories, I have heard that it might actually be quite similar to average potato chips. These are a great choice if you want to eat something yummy and pretend that you are being healthy.

Hummus

The small Sabra containers with the pretzels on top make the perfect snack.

Avocado/guacamole

Great dip, especially with pretzels. Avocados help you absorb nutrients and boost your health.

Rice cakes

Try adding either almond or peanut butter on top.

Cereal

(Honey nut) Cheerios

Puffins (original or plain)

Kashi Protein Clusters

Other options:

• Fruit
  • Fruit cups
  • Cottage cheese
  • String cheese
  • Baby carrots
  • Edamame and tofu mix (vegan)
  • Seaweed (vegan)
  • Protein bars (Luna and Lara bars are personal favorites)
  • Chocolate pudding (low-fat options available)
  • Popcorn (low-fat options available)
  • Animal crackers (Barbara’s are my favorite)
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.