Sick of Studying in the Library?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Studying in the library can get old rather quickly. There are only so many times you can go there and sit in your favorite spot before your friends come and distract you and convince you to take a “quick” break from your work, which usually turns into a trip to the C-store or Einsteins. My solution is to switch up your study spot and try some place different.

Mandel Center: The beautiful new building has a great place to study on the second floor. It has a bright and open feel, comfortable chairs, and connects to the café in Olin Sang, which is convenient if you get a sudden craving for a snack or coffee. If the weather outside is warm, you can even sit on the patio, which overlooks upper campus.

International Business School: There is something about seeing studious business students working that motivates me to work. IBS is a study oasis for me because the beautiful view of the woods that can be seen through the floor to ceiling windows makes me feel like I am in a tree house. The vibe is peaceful and provides a stress free and relaxing work environment.

Café on the Commons: Although this quaint café is located off campus, if you are feeling stir crazy and want to study in a charming spot, Café on the Commons is the place to go. Their coffee and sandwiches are a great study snack and will give you enough energy to power through any paper.

Shapiro Science Center: What could be better than having a view of Boston to look at while working? Nothing! Luckily in the new science building you can do just that in a comfortable and quiet setting. Apparently there are large whiteboards there that you can use as well, which can be helpful if you are solving a math problem or science equation.

Science Library: If you are looking for a secluded and silent place to do your work, my sources tell me that the science library is the place to go. I have never been myself, but you should definitely check it out if you crave silence when you study.

So here are five places you can go if you feel like changing up your workspace. While you may be a creature of habit and still retreat to the library, there is nothing wrong with adjusting your routine. 

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.