Sexual Assault: What you need to know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Sexual assault is more common than you probably think it is. It is estimated that 1 in 3 American women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime (George Mason University, Worldwide Sexual Assault Statistics, 2005). Additionally, LGBTQI individuals, according to statistics, are more likely to experience sexual assault. Sexual Assault can affect anyone regardless of sex, gender, sexual orientation, etc. The United States Department of Justice’s Office on Violence Against Women defines sexual assault as: “any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape”.

What is consent?

Giving consent means making an informed, non-coerced decision to engage in a specific act with a specific person each time. Consent can be freely taken back, meaning that if a person consents to an act once that their consent does not apply to any future acts, even if it is the same act with the same person.

Sexual assault is never the survivor’s fault. The fault belongs solely to the offender. It is never okay to blame the survivor. Blaming the survivor only contributes to rape culture and the culture of silence. If you are the survivor of sexual assault, remember that you are not to blame and that you should not feel ashamed. There are both campus and off-campus resources for you if you want to seek them.

Resources

If you are sexually assaulted, you have the option of having a sexual assault forensic evidence (SAFE) kit done to collect forensic evidence. The kit (also referred to as a rape kit) collects evidence like DNA if you wish to report your assault and/or take legal action. The information collected will be kept on file and you do not have to take legal action; however, there are some exceptions. In some cases, if the sexual assault involves something like child abuse, it will have to be reported. Exams are available free of charge. Although they are not available on the Brandeis campus, there are close locations at which sexual assault nurse examiners (SANE) can conduct SAFE kits. Both Newton-Wellesley and Beth Israel provide this service.

On campus resources:

• Run by peer counselors who are trained to respond to sexual assault. They offer confidentiality:
    • Students Talking About Relationships (Shapiro Campus Center 3rd floor)
    • Student Sexuality Information Service (Shapiro Campus Center 3rd floor)
    • Queer Resource Center (Shapiro Campus Center room 328)
    • Brandeis Counseling and Rape Crisis hotline: (781)-736-TALK (hours: 10pm – 2am)
  • Community Advisors: Although community advisors guarantee privacy, they do not guarantee confidentiality. This means that they are mandated reporters who must disclose information to staff that need to be made aware of the assault that has occurred.
  • Brandeis Psychological Counseling Center: (617)-431-4814 maintains full privacy and confidentiality
  • Intercultural Center:
    • Jessica Pedrick (jpedrick@brandeis.edu) is the Program Coordinator for Sexuality and Gender Diversity. Her office is located on the second floor of the Intercultural Center and is available to discuss sexual assault. She is a mandated reporter on campus.
  • Brandeis University Public Safety: (781)-736-3333
  • Brandeis Health Center: (781)-736-3677

Off campus:

• Boston Area Rape Crisis Center Hotline: (800) 841-8371
  • Planned Parenthood
  • Fenway Community Health (good resources for LGBTQI individuals)

These are only some of the resources available. More can be found on these pages:

http://www.brandeis.edu/studentaffairs/srcs/misconduct.html

http://www.mass.gov/women/pubs/SADV.pdf

What should you do if a friend tells you they have been sexually assaulted

Here are some basic guidelines on how to be a supportive and sensitive friend for when someone confides in you that they were sexually assaulted:

1. Do not push the survivor to report the sexual assault, but let them know that there are resources available.
  2. Never blame the survivor. Do not ask insensitive questions like “What were you wearing?” or “Why were you alone?” Nobody asks to be sexually assaulted and by questioning the survivor’s actions, you are insinuating that the survivor could have stopped the assault.
  3. Be patient. It may be difficult to listen to someone’s experience, but listening can offer the best support.
  4. Do not press the survivor for details regarding the assault.
  5. Let the survivor define the physical space between you and them.

If you have been sexually assaulted in the past

It is never too late to seek support if you have been assaulted. There is support for you no matter when you were assaulted. The resources cited are also available as resources to you as a survivor regardless of when or where the assault occurred.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.