A Series of Firsts: My First Facial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

During Brandeis’ spring break last week, I looked at myself in the mirror one day and said, “Wow, my skin is a mess – someone’s gotta help me.” And that’s when I decided it was finally time for me to try getting a facial.

Before making any appointments, I thought long and hard about if I wanted to spend the money and the time on a facial. I also thought about what it might be like to have someone professionally clean my face. I assumed tools of all sorts would be used to extract all the toxins and dirt from my face, allowing my skin to rejuvenate, moisturize, and heal clearer.

Little did I know, my prospects weren’t all correct.

I was surprised to have a very relaxing, painless experience getting a facial. Different masks, creams, and scrubs were used in the cleansing of my skin. The only “tools” used to pop various blackheads and pimples were the beauticians’ hands. The atmosphere of the room, along with the steam machine directed at my face, provided a nearly magical experience that left me speechless after the appointment.

After the appointment, my face was so shiny and soft, but I was still able to see aspects of my skin that I thought would be tackled by the facial. In the days following the appointment, my skin retained its softness, but nothing really changed.

So – was it worth it to get a facial?

Getting a facial was worth it for me in the aspects of pampering and making me aware of the importance of taking care of my skin. However, I didn’t see all the results I was hoping for, even a week after the appointment. I would be open to trying a different facial place in the future to see if they tackle more of the issues I was hoping to tackle; but overall, I’m happy that I was able to do something relaxing for myself during spring break and remind myself how  important it is to take care of my skin.

(All PC: giphy.com)

Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.