Sachar Woods In Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

When I first came to Brandeis as a young and timid first year, I didn’t realize that the hilly campus I would soon call home included acres of woods and trails.  It wasn’t until I took Fundamentals of Environmental Challenges that I discovered Brandeis’ Sachar Woods.  One of the requirements of this class was to find a “place in the woods” and observe it on a weekly basis for the entirety of the semester.  I first visited my place in the woods during this time of year.  The trees were, as they are today, still fully outfitted in their summer foliage.  Even though classes had started nearly a month before, a walk through the woods was like a walk through summer.  When I visited the woods last weekend, it was the same.  While campus is in full fall semester mode, the woods are still enjoying summer.  In just a matter of weeks they’ll catch up with the rest of campus as saturated reds, yellows and oranges will begin to replace the vivid greens.  Until then, summer it is, at least in Sachar Woods.  

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.