Rosby Kome Mensah ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
Hometown: Ghana 
Major: Chemistry and Economics working on a possible Math minor 
Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus: What made you choose Brandeis?
Rosby Kome Mensah: I didn’t really know what I wanted to do I just knew I wanted to go a liberal arts school. But then I realized I went to a very small boarding school and didn’t want that same experience. I didn’t want a big state school but I didn’t want something too small and Brandeis just seemed like the right size. It is also very close to Boston! 

HC: How is it living so far from home?
RKM: I went to a boarding school (in Ghana) for high school so it isn’t a problem to live away from home. I’m very independent. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus?
RKM: I used to be involved in the student union as a freshman and sophomore. Now I am in the IBS program so I am involved in the Global markets investment club and African business club. I also play intramural basketball and football and I am a Brother of ZBT. 

HC: I hear you are very into the Boston club scene and promoting, how did you get into that?
RKM: I was recruited 2 years ago. I got on their radar by attending events and the founder is a Brandeis Alum. They were looking for people who were good with people and being social and could get the work. I am a promoter (VIP Host) for the “Flavor Media Team”, which is an entertainment group that promotes top clubs and bars in Boston. We do huge events for occasions such as New Years EVE, EDM concerts and boat cruises. 

HC: Do you do a lot of travelling?
RKM: I went abroad in high school a lot. That was when I first went to Holland and now I go at least once a year, usually at the time of Christmas break because I can stop there on my way home. 

HC: What has been your favorite place to go?
RKM: Holland is my favorite place besides home. 

HC: Did you go abroad?
RKM: I wanted to go abroad but didn’t have the chance because I was double majoring. However, I do plan on going abroad if I stay for a 5th year as part of the MBA program. I would want to go to Spain, France, Japan or Brazil because I have never been. 

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?
RKM: I love listening to music. I listen to basically everything. I also play a lot of basketball and football and go to gym to keep in shape. I also watch sports, really just basketball and football. 

HC: Any recommendations of places to go off campus?
RKM: If you are looking for somewhere to hangout then Newberry Street. There are some really nice coffee shops especially in the fall. Also you can rent bikes and bike riding in Cambridge is fun. If you are looking for a night out I would recommend Club Royale, Umbria Prime or Down Ultra Lounge is a new really nice place. 

HC: Any hidden talents? 
RKM: I have a really good memory. I remember weird/random things about people. 

HC: What would your ideal date be?
RKM: Dinner at a Japanese restaurant and then going to an NBA game after. 

HC: If you could….

…Live in one place for the rest of your life?
I would want to be a scuba diver instructor in Aruba, or somewhere exotic and tropical with nice beaches and a hammock. 

…Have one song stuck in your head for a year?
Shelter by the XX

…Have one super power?
Mind reading 

…Go on a date with anyone alive or dead?
Scarlett Johanson (when she had the red hair) 

HC: What’s your favorite….

…Music? 
A lot of R&B and alternative rock music 

…Artist?
Drake, Wale, and Jay-Z

…Movie?
The Departed

…TV Show?
Dexter, Downtown Abbey, and House

…Sports Teams?
Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavs (NBA), San Fran 49ers, Patriots (NFL) 

…Food?
Fu Fu with goat meat soup. Fu fu is boiled cassava (yam) and plantain and you pound it together until it is really smooth and fine and make into balls and pour the soup on it. 

…Book?
‘The Sicilian’ by Mario Puzo and ‘Darkness More Then Night’ by Michael Connelly 

…Class at Brandeis?
Econometrics taught by Professor David Pertunuzzo 

RKM: “EVERYONE SHOULD VISIT GHANA OR SIERRA LIONE IN HIS OR HER LIFETIME!!!”

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.