Reflecting on World Down Syndrome Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

This past Tuesday, 3/21, was World Down Syndrome Day. You may know that Down syndrome is a disability that occurs when an individual has an extra 21st chromosome. However, to me, Down syndrome represents so much more. My younger sister has Down syndrome, and last year, in honor of World Down Syndrome Day, I wrote about some of the lessons she has taught me. This year, I want to add to that list with a few more ways my sister continues to influence my life for the better.

Busy is a blessing.

It may be cliché, but through my sister I have learned how important it is to involve yourself in activities that make you happy. Almost every day, in addition to going to school, my sister goes to a variety of different activities, including horseback riding, tutoring, speech, occupational therapy, zumba, yoga, and ballet. Every time I look at my planner and think I’m overscheduled and overwhelmed, I remember that my sister has the same, if not greater, amount of commitments, and she doesn’t complain about it. Instead, she goes from activity to activity ready to enjoy and focus on the task at hand. In fact, she realizes that involving yourself in activities you get enjoyment from is important, and it is better to be busy than bored. 

It’s always better to be together.

My sister has always had this fascination with knowing where everyone is at all times. Whether it is members of our immediate family, or even my friends from college, whenever I speak to my sister she has to ask where everyone is and what they are doing at that moment. Once everyone is accounted for, and preferably all together, she is content. While I have always thought this quirk was kind of annoying, especially when I have to explain to her every single time that my friend is abroad in Argentina and even if she asks a week later, will still be in Argentina, I admire and appreciate my sister’s concern for others, as well as her desire to have everyone together. Her genuine interest in the whereabouts and well being of the people she loves is, in my opinion, one of her best qualities.

Don’t be embarrassed.

My sister loves to claim that she is embarrassed, or that someone is embarrassing her. She will groan and hide her face, even if the moment is truly not that humiliating. However, for someone that is so focused on not letting others embarrass her, she could care less if she embarrasses herself. For example, my sister loves music and is always dancing, so whenever we are in public, whether it be in the mall, at a restaurant, or just walking down the street, if she hears a tune then she will start to groove. My brother and I will sometimes groan and become embarrassed if she, for example, is the only person busting a move in the middle of a crowded sidewalk; however, I actually do admire this behavior. Ashley will sing, dance, or do whatever else makes her happy, regardless of what others may think. I try my hardest to imitate this most admirable quality. 

These are just three of the many lessons my sister has taught me. I am once again grateful to World Down Syndrome Day for the opportunity to reflect on my relationship with my sister, and all of the ways in which she continues to influence my life.

Images provided by Heather DeNoble 

Thumbnail by Annie Spratt via Unsplash