Preparing for Study Abroad: Brandeis you will be missed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

As a junior, studying abroad is possibly the only thing you talk about fall semester at Brandeis. I spent the last 3 months, prepping, filling forms, doing stressful visa stuff and simply being excited about going abroad to London in the spring. I’m beyond excited for this new experience and being in a city making new friends and learning more about myself. However, as the semester begins wrapping up and finals doom over our heads, the realisation hit that I really am not going to be on campus for the spring. I hadn’t really thought about it until recently because I was so caught up with the excitement and the business, but Brandeis has become home over the past 2 years and I’m going to miss not being here. Here are some of the most important things to me about my college that will be missed during my time away. 

1. My friends and community 

This is by far the most special part about Brandeis. Friends become family and eventually, they make college feel like home. The community at this campus is the nicest bunch of people I have ever met that made me feel a part of this school from my first day here. I have been incredibly lucky to have found people here that push me to be a better version of myself and we never give up on each other. Being in a new city, not having people to talk to or say ‘hi’ to everywhere I look will be new and feel weird. I love having people to go when I’m getting a meal or just taking a break from studying. Shout-out all my senior friends who are graduating next semester and who I will miss so so much coming back.  

2. My classes and my professors 

I love what I’m studying and I have Brandeis to thank in leading me to discover my passion for psychology and health. Taking classes and being involved with a lab and the department you develop relations with your professor that go beyond the classroom. I have had the privilege of learning from some incredibly smart and talented people who are very experienced in their field of work. My professors and my classes at this school are definitely a highlight and I did not realise how much they mean to me until I’m not going to have them next semester. The faculty and community here are so welcoming that I can always walk in and talk to professors and they are ever-ready to listen and give advice! 

3. The comfort of my campus 

Brandeis is not very big and we are a relatively midsize university. After spending 3 years here you learn the in’s and out’s of your campus. The more you get involved the familiar faces become and campus starts to seem every smaller. Even though sometimes it can get overwhelming I like knowing a lot of people, it makes the campus feel homely.  There is a comfort in knowing your way around, which I will not get in a new big city.

4. Being involved and always being so busy

I complain about this, but I do love being busy. I like the structure of my day that keep me preoccupied and I always feel productive. I like having things to do outside of class that make college more than just academics. 

5. HerCampus!! 

HerCampus Brandeis is definitely one of my weekly highlights. The community of amazing women I get to interact with and know makes me feel empowered. Coming to weekly meetings and de-briefing our week is something I will dearly miss when in London.

It is so easy to get caught in the Brandeis bubble with the hectic structure of our days and the overwhelming work that we often feel like we need a break from the pace. I’m so ready for the temporary change, but I can’t wait to come back and experience all the things senior year has in store! 

Sakinah Master

Brandeis '21

Sakinah is Senior at Brandeis University persuring a degree in Psychology and Public Health. She is from Mumbai (India) and hopes to make a change in the field of mental health in her hometown one day! 
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.