Perspectives on Losing Touch With Your High School Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Losing touch with high school friends is something almost every college student has experienced to some degree. Our staff at HC Brandeis wanted to provide some different perspectives on this topic by writers from every year. 

First Year:

Even though I’ve only been at college for three weeks, I can already tell that I’m starting to lose touch with the people I was really close to in high school.  Even though we still text and snapchat, and have made plans to see each other when we come home, it’s not the same.  Having gone to an international high school, now all of my friends are spread out at colleges around the world, which makes it even harder to stay in touch. — Emily Eidler ’20

Sophomore:

Losing touch with high school friends has been a bit disappointing, but it has allowed me to recognize how much effort is required in maintaining long-distance friendships and lets me be more discerning in who I dedicate my time to when I do reach out to my old friends. – Zara Hoffman ‘19

Junior:

Even though I lost touch with some of my high school friends, the ones that I am still in touch with are my bestest friends. They are the ones that will be always be there for me. We might not talk for awhile, but when we do, we pick right back up where we left off. This process might be hard, but you can see who your real friends are. Friends come and go, and this will also be applicable when I graduate college, but the ones that I am in contact with, no matter what stage of life I’m in, are the ones that truly matter. -Rebecca Chen ‘18

Seniors:  

Although I don’t speak to many people I considered friends in high school anymore, I know the friends I’m still in touch with will be in my life for the long haul. The best thing is that I can go months without seeing some of my high school friends, but when we do meet up it’s like nothing has changed. – Emily Reich ‘17

It’s been a little over three years since I graduated from high school.  I definitely don’t talk to my high school friends everyday and sometimes we only get to see each other once a year. But no matter how much time passes, we always manage to reconnect somehow, whether it be through a quick facebook message, a long call on Facetime or a nice lunch.  Even though we all live in different places and have made new friends and experiences independent of each other, our high school experience is something that we’ll share forever.  Hopefully it will be something that will bring us back together for many more years to come.  – Sara Cardenas ‘17

I am a first-year at Brandeis University. I'm from New York City and am experiencing city withdrawal. In my free time I enjoy hanging out with friends, sewing, watching netflix, doing musical theater, and eating lots and lots of mac and cheese.
Self-published author, avid reader, book reviewer, musical theatre enthusiast, Sherlockian, Special Agent (NCIS fandom), amateur singer, and animal lover (especially dogs).
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.