Osama Bin Laden: A Fond Farewell From Her Campus Brandeis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I’m going to take a second and offend those people who believe every life is precious: I am truly happy to hear that Bin Laden has finally died, and even more happy to hear that it was not of old age (although how this happened I am completely clueless-the monster looks like he’s in his eighties and is living in a hole). 

Things to wonder now as we wait for President Obama’s speech on CNN, CBS or whatever network you happen to find most pleasing:

1) Why did the President golf today?

2) Why were we finally able to find Bin Laden, after 10 years: did he slip out for some fresh air?

3) What does this mean for America?

4) What will this mean for Obama?

5) Where the heck is Obama?? It’s been an hour and still no speech!

According to the Washington Post (who, by the way, provided none of the answers to my questions), Osama was killed by a shot to the head. Furthermore CNN provided some small snippets of information:

Specific details of how and where the al Qaeda mastermind was killed were not immediately available, but sources said U.S. forces have the body and DNA testing confirmed that it was bin Laden.

A national security source said that bin Laden was not killed in a drone strike, but declined to go into details about the forces that killed him.

“This is a terrific day for America and quite frankly the whole world that cares about winning the war on terror,” former Bush chief of staff Andy Card told ABC News. Card said the news is “particularly significant” for the intelligence community.

“They’re the ones who kept their nose to the grindstone and worked very hard to allow this day to be realized … finally,” he said.

His death brings us to a new chapter in the war and, golf or not, we can pat good ol’ Obama on the back. Oh and that person who shot OBL too… 

On a serious note, today is one of those few days we can say “remember where you were”. Because today will go down in history. Goodbye Osama, I hope you get what’s coming to you.

Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.