This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

A quick disclaimer: I give my favorite two tracks for each album listed, but these albums are all great throughout and you shouldn’t limit yourself to just my taste. I also put all my favorite songs into a Spotify playlist, which I’ll link at the end.

Driving Music – Mallrat

(PC: Genius)

I’ve been listening to Mallrat here and there since around summer 2017 and a die-hard fan since I sat down and listened to her second EP, “In the Sky” last year. (Side note: Please listen to “In the Sky”.) “Driving Music” is softer and more subdued than her last two EPs, but it’s also her most personal, with vulnerable and nostalgic lyrics about all the ups and downs of being a teenager in suburbia backed by floaty and minimalistic synth beats. Fun fact: Mallrat is now my dad’s favorite artist. 

Favorite tracks: Drive Me Round, Circles

~

Lover – Taylor Swift

(PC: Genius)

I wasn’t particularly invested in Taylor Swift for most of my life. I knew her most popular tracks and belted “You Belong With Me” whenever it came on the radio just like everyone else, but I’d never listened fully through one of her albums before. Then I started living with a Swiftie and everything changed. As someone who rolled her eyes at the “reputation” era (admittedly without giving it much of a chance), “Lover” is a breath of fresh air. None of these songs feels like Taylor trying to play a character; they feel like Taylor at her most authentic. 

Favorite tracks: Paper Rings, Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince

~

Bad Ideas – Tessa Violet

(PC: Genius)

I did a whole review of “Bad Ideas” when it came out in October, but I’m still astounded by how well Tessa Violet can capture so many different feelings in one album. This one has gotten better every time I go back and listen to it.

Favorite tracks: Games, Feelin

~

While We Wait – Kehlani

(PC: Genius)

“While We Wait” is one of those rare albums (well, this is a mixtape, but it still counts) where I can listen through the whole thing front to back and not skip anything. Every track takes 90’s R&B and gives it a modern twist, focusing on how relationships can exist in a world with as much media presence as the one we live in. Kehlani’s voice and songwriting skills both shine here and out of everything on this list, this is the collection where it’s most important to listen to everything on it; only listening to a few tracks is a disservice to the incredible lyrics and production.

Favorite tracks: Morning Glory, Nights Like This

~

Charlie Burg – Three, Fever and Tha Breeze, Tha Steeze, Palm Trees

(PC: Genius)

(PC: charlieburgmusic on Bandcamp)

Since Charlie Burg graced Chum’s Coffeehouse with a live performance at a WBRS show last November, I’ve fallen head-over-heels in love with his music. This year, he released an album (“Three, Fever”) in January and an EP (“Tha Breeze, Tha Steeze, Palm Trees”) in July, and not including both of them just seems disingenuous. Both collections showcase Burg’s ability to create a sort of groovy, lo-fi bedroom indie-pop sound that sounds both nostalgic and modern at the same time, and “Tha Steeze” especially–my favorite track of his to date and one of my favorite songs of the year–is a masterfully done throwback to 00’s R&B. In conclusion, please listen to Charlie Burg.

Favorite tracks: Avalanche, Tha Steeze (tie for my favorite song of the year)

~

LÉON – LÉON

(PC: Genius)

LÉON’s long-awaited debut album is a showcase of her emotional range as a singer, combining upbeat indie pop with soulful ballads. And of course, her amazing alto voice lends itself well to both styles, especially when the music lets her hit the low notes. This album has gotten better every time I listen to it, and I’m sure that as the months and years go by, it’ll only get better.

Favorite tracks: Falling, Hope Is A Heartache

~

Hallucinations – PVRIS

(PC: Genius)

Since their debut album, “White Noise”, was released in 2014, PVRIS has stood out to me for just how much power their music holds. Their unique combination of hardcore rock and electropop synths hooked me as soon as I heard it, and I haven’t been able to find another band that has pulled me in that much to this day. Their two singles this year, “Hallucinations” and “Death of Me”, were so incredible that during the early stages of this article, it was going to be my favorite songs of the year just so they could be included. Lucky for me, they released the two songs as part of an EP, along with three other absolute bangers (including the PHENOMENAL “Nightmare”) that need to be listened to ASAP.

Favorite tracks: Nightmare (tie for my favorite song of the year), Death of Me

~

the masquerade – mxmtoon

(PC: mxmtoon on Bandcamp)

“the masquerade”, besides being the bane of my auto-capitalizing existence, is stripped-down and personal, much like the other albums on this list, mostly driven by TikTok celebrity mxmtoon’s ukulele and simple yet beautiful vocals. It’s another portrait of teenage life, teenage experiences, and teenage love, and its acoustic nature serves that purpose wonderfully.

Favorite tracks: suffice, seasonal depression

~

All the Feels – Fitz and The Tantrums

(PC: Genius)

Fitz and The Tantrums have had a very specific sound since they started making music: upbeat, fun, and infectious. It matches up exactly with my type of music, which is basically “Songs the plucky protagonist of a teenage coming-of-age movie would listen to while moving across the country”. Their music is full of positive messages, which there are plenty of here, and songs like “Kiss the Sky” stand out for weaving in important messages. Some have called “All the Feels” repetitive, but does that really matter when every song slaps?

Favorite tracks: Hands Up, 123456

~

False Alarm – Two Door Cinema Club

(PC: Genius)

“False Alarm” delivers contemporary indie pop-rock with an 80’s funk backdrop. The kitschy feel of the album split opinions right down the middle, but this is my list, and I think the risks the group took here were more than worth it. Every track is fun and fresh, and the throwbacks only add to the charm.

Favorite tracks: Dirty Air, Talk

~

Spotify Playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1yKNuPLEJwRnJuJhSEiXof?si=BLfrh3yiSh6-c_BJV9O_ag

Hannah is a junior at Brandeis studying Music and East Asian Studies who hails from Seattle, Washington. Her hobbies include playing the viola, making oddly specific Spotify playlists, and rewatching The Untamed.
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.