Most useful Brandeis app? Guidebook!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Paperback guidebooks for locations and universities are slowly disappearing. With the release of the Guidebook app, Brandeis students can look to their smartphones for important campus-related information.

The app is really useful, so downloading it is a no-brainer to download. There are four easy steps to download it:

1. Search “Guidebook” in the app store search bar.

2. Click “install.” (It’s free!)

3. Give your Apple ID password.

4. Once it is installed and you open the app, tap “download guides,” select “schools,” and search “Brandeis” in the search bar.

Once you have installed the app and have the Brandeis page set up, you can begin to explore the different features.

One of the most useful features is “Offices & Numbers.” Some numbers provided are Public Safety, both emergency and non-emergency; the mailroom; the registrar’s office; Library & Technology Services; and the Brandeis Bookstore, among many others. This feature also will inform you where offices are located—for example, Hillel Lounge in the Usdan Student Center, the International Lounge on the first floor of Usdan. When you select any of these, a map will come up with exact location.

There is a “Brandeis Calendar,” which shows the different events happening on campus with their time and location. The feature “My Schedule” allows you to add any of these events to your personal calendar and has an option for a reminder about the event from 10 minutes to an hour before.

There’s a “Students Event” section, which has a calendar devoted specifically to the activities happening on campus hosted by Students Events.

You will also find a list of the clubs and organizations and a to-do list that you can create for yourself.

The variety of maps featured on the app is a useful tool for incoming first-years as well as current students who may have a class in a new building. The “POI” (point of interest) section provides a list of the major locations on campus, such as East Quad, Foster Mods, the Game Room, Goldman-Schwartz Art Center, and Lindsey Pool. When you select any of these, a map will show where these are located exactly on campus.

“Campus Map” doesn’t just only show buildings on campus. The Sustainability On Campus movement tags locations like ‘Deis Bikes, the Brandeis Wetlands, the compost bin by Foster Mods, the Zipcar station, the solar panel array in Gosman Center, and the Patchwork Garden and Eco-Shed. Being green on campus has never been so easy!

This app has many resources for Brandeis students; once you have downloaded the app, everything you will need on campus will be in your smartphone.

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like. 
Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.