Mohamed Sidique ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Everyone on campus knows who Mohammed, or more commonly known as Mo, is. He is basically everywhere: you can find him at the gym, in Usdan, in the library, or walking backwards giving prospective students tours. He and his infamous smile can be seen at the Brandeis women’s basketball games. His charm never fails to put a smile on your face or make you laugh.  Read more about his experience at Brandeis and how he survived a combined 5 majors and minors all while being so involved on campus.

Name: Mohamed Sidque

Hometown: Harlem, NY

Major(s)American Studies, Philosophy, and Politics

Minor(s):Legal Studies and Education

HerCampus: Why did you decide to come to Brandeis?

Mohamed Sidique: I chose Brandeis because I was looking at a lot of different schools and I did not want to go to school in New York.  New York was too much of a city environment. I wanted to go to a school where I felt the students could make an impact on the campus and design their campus life how they wanted it. I felt as if this was a young school that really gave the students the opportunity to do that.

HC: You have 5 majors and minors combined, what made you want to go down that route?

MS: When I first got here, I actually did not want to do anything. I did not want to join any clubs, but I chose my majors and minors because of the professors that I had here. I fell in love with their teaching styles and the stimulating conversations that I had with them. This led me to choose a major and minor with them. I did not end up declaring most of my majors and minors until the end of last year actually.

HC:That must have taken a lot of classwork to accomplish these goals. What else do you do besides drowning yourself in your academics?

MS: Yeah, I actually took 5 classes each semester to accomplish this. Besides studying, I’m pretty much always busy. I am one of the captains on the track team so I am working out a lot. Other than that, I am one of the head coordinators in admissions. I help train tour guides, hiring staff, and stuff like that. I give tours as well as working in admissions. I am now part of several clubs on campus. Random times on campus, people will come to me asking for help in planning events for them and I help with whatever they need. I am also a CA, so I am pretty busy but it’s fun. I like doing things like that and staying busy and helping people.

HC: What are your plans after Brandeis?

MS: After Brandeis, I really just want to help people. I do not know the profession it is exactly yet.  Even if it is just a job where I can help people do what they want to do and be what they want to be. That’s something that I want to do in the long run. Maybe my future will involve being part of higher education and changing the way they look into the admissions process so it is not just about business and its about the personal aspect.

HC: Now that you are graduating, do you think that you made an impact on campus?

MS: I think a lot of students did that, it is not just me. But it is more so in inspiring people to whatever they want to do because that is what I want to do in the future. It is nothing that I did necessarily. I hope the legacy that I would leave is that I helped someone realize they could have done something they aspired to do or they are capable of doing something they did not know they can do.

HC: Do you consider yourself a mentor on the track team, in academics, or in any general situation?

MS: Yes. In general, on campus I try to look out for first year students when they come in and second year students and even students that are years above me. I like to take advice from others. It is not just me always helping them out, but it is also others helping me out whenever I am in need. It is essentially a give-and-take. I’m not always helping with the expectation of getting something back in return, but I am really helping them to be able to learn from them.

HC: So, who would you consider your biggest role model or mentor?

MS: My biggest role model is still my mother, even though she passed away. She did so much and she is amazing. She has also been through so much and to come from what she had to endure, it is inspiring of what has resulted. I can never make an excuse for anything. Whatever I go through is not as bad as what she had to go through, which is what makes her my biggest role model.

HC: What is your most memorable moment during your Brandeis career?

MS: That is a really good question. My birthday last year was during the Hoops for Haiti game. The whole day I was exhausted because the whole week I was planning things for Admitted Students Day and helping out with other programs. I was working the whole day on my birthday and they asked me if I wanted to play in the Hoops for Haiti game to help raise money. I love playing Hoops for Haiti because it is always fun and for a great cause. At half time, all of a sudden I was sitting down talking to a friend and everyone started to sing happy birthday. I was in shock because I never had a birthday party or any surprise during my birthday. When that happened, I realized that most of my friends were there and they brought out a cake and my gift. That moment meant so much to me. Even though it was my birthday and I wanted to party afterwards, I just went home and started to write a big thank you letter to all my friends even though I hate writing. This was the moment that made me realize that I needed and was supposed to be at this university.

HC: Name something quirky about you that no one would be able to guess when they first meet you?

MS: I’m very weird. In my eyes, I do not think that I am funny, but other people do. I say a lot of random stuff, but I am a pretty weird person once you get to know me. I apparently give off that vibe that I am a “smooth person,” but I’m not. Also, I like Bollywood music. I listen to not only Bollywood though. I also listen to Korean music and African music. I am very diverse when it comes to anything African related. I can sit down and listen to hours of it, I just love the different cultures. 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.