This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Missing your parents while in college can be a really challenging experience. Not only are you “supposed to be growing up”, but you’ve most likely spent your entire teenage life trying to get away from them, and now you suddenly miss them? What is this sorcery?

When I first started missing my parents while at college, I realized several things. The first being that it’s not a sign of weakness to miss the people who raised you. In fact, it shows a lot of maturity and growth to be able to recognize that raising you probably wasn’t easy.

The second thing I’ve realized is that the more I miss my parents, the more I want to impress them and the better I do in school. Missing my parents has literally improved my grades. Thank you Mom and Dad.

Finally, I have realized that I am so incredibly lucky to have two people in my life who I love so much. Missing people, especially parents, simply means that you are lucky enough to have a safe place to return to whenever you need it.

Missing home and your parents, is not an easy feeling to have. Sometimes it hurts so much you just want to go home and curl up on the couch. But in the end, being a little homesick every now and then is healthy, and can teach you a lot more than you may have expected.

Love you Mom and Dad.

(All PC: giphy.com)

Campus Coordinator at Brandeis University 
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.