In Memory: Vanessa Cox 1983-2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

On February 12 in Vanessa Cox, 31, passed away after a fatal car accident. Vanessa was a cherished daughter, co-worker, and a beloved friend. Vanessa worked at Gosman as an Athletics Administrator, but her impact was not limited to working at her desk everyday. Fellow coworkers described Vanessa as radiant, kind, gentle, and above all selfless. Carol Simon, head coach of Brandeis Women’s Basketball, calls Vanessa “a ray of sunshine.”

“Every morning,” Simon says, “started with walking into the office and seeing Vanessa’s smile.”  She is remembered as a woman who never took a single day for granted. Her generous and unselfish nature was a gift to her peers; Vanessa enhanced many lives with her liveliness and gratitude.

Death is perhaps life’s most challenging obstacle—for many reasons, but mostly because of the abiding, unanswerable question—why?  On February 24th 2015 at Vanessa Cox’s memorial service, President Frederick Lawrence confessed that there will never be an answer—tragedy will forever remain a question. The only thing that can be done is to embrace loved ones and gather together through such trying times.

Vanessa made an impact on nearly every student who had the pleasure of entering the Gosman staff office. Her friendly and welcoming smile left an impact on all visitors. She greeted the familiar and the unfamiliar in the same warm and embracing manner, the quality to leave warmth in strangers as well as close colleagues is a rarity in the world. We will all remember Vanessa smiling face and she will be the inspiration for a wave of kindness spread by those who were familiar with this incredible woman, her legacy will be left by the spread of hellos and welcome all we encounter. Thank you for reminding all of us the impact one pure and thoughtful smile can leave. 

Repping the 305. From Miami to Boston. Likes: House music, Tuna Fish, Rom Coms, Sunshine Dislikes: Track, Roller coasters, Snakes
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.