Meet the Staff: Merrick Mendenhall ’20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Merrick Mendenhall

Year: Midyear 2020

Hometown: Burlington, VT

Majors/Minors: Undecided

Her Campus Brandeis: What are you involved in on campus, or what do you hope to get involved in?

Merrick Mendenhall: On campus I am involved in Her Campus and Meor. Meor is a class designed to teach young Jewish students what Judaism means to them and to figure out how it applies to their specific lives. I also acted in the Quickies at the start of this semester, which was awesome. I am currently working on starting a College Diabetes Network (CDN) chapter on campus. CDN is an organization designed to provide a safe place for Type 1 Diabetic students to rant about diabetes, as well as to raise awareness and volunteer.

HC: Since you are a midyear, what did you do for your first semester?

MM: I studied abroad in London during my first semester. I lived in apartment-style housing with other Brandeis students, down the road from Hampstead Heath. I attended classes at Arcadia University in Central London, next to the British Museum. I focused on studying theater and attended upwards of 10 shows while in London. My top three favorites were The Lion King, King Lear, and This House.

HC: What is your favorite part about being a midyear?

MM: My favorite part about being a midyear is having had the opportunity to study abroad so early in my college career. Living so independently for my first semester prepared me for living on campus and I now feel much more confident in my endeavors at Brandeis.

HC: What attracted you to Brandeis?

MM: I chose Brandeis mainly because of the student body. Out of all the schools I looked at, Brandeis students seemed like people I wanted to spend four years with. Everyone here is very dedicated and involved in the community. I wanted to surround myself with people who would push me to be better and work harder, and Brandeis seemed like the best place for that.

HC: What do you like about writing for Her Campus?

MM: I really enjoy the freedom that Her Campus allows. I am able to write about anything that interests me and I feel very involved in the brainstorming process. The support from the other Her Campus writers makes the whole club more fun and inclusive, which creates a positive environment to work in.

Quick Facts

Favorite food: My Grandma’s famous blondies (my family calls them Squares)

Favorite TV show: Game of Thrones

Favorite singer/band: Chef’Special

Favorite spot on campus: Anywhere in the Library

Sherman or Usdan: Sherman