Meet the Staff: Ashley Loc '20

Year: First Year

Major(s): IGS and HSSP

Minor(s): Economics

Hometown: Waltham, MA (I know. Crazy.)

Her Campus: How did you get involved with Her Campus at Brandeis and what do you do for them?

Ashley Loc: Coming to college, I was so sure I would major in English and was searching for different outlets to write. And as much as I respect all the people behind The Justice and The Hoot, I could never consistently churn out articles about sports or theatre. But fashion, beauty, self-care? That I can do, so I started contributing to Her Campus and love it so far.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about being a part of Her Campus at Brandeis?

AL: Aside from the survival kits, I love the people. They're all friendly, positive and can separate their super ambitious selves from their fun-loving ones. It's really important to have activities where everyone is just a breath of fresh air, and the staff at Her Campus have that going for them.

HC: What other activities are you involved in on campus?  

AL: I’m the Publicity Officer for the Astronomy Club and the Social Media Chair for Brandeis’s ONE chapter. Before coming to Brandeis, I had never heard of ONE, but it's a huge organization that is all about pushing for policy change--especially in regards to underprivileged girls. It's wildly important and coincides with the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, which I am a general E-board member of. And after work shifts, I help an angel prepare for the citizenship test. (Wish her luck!)

HC: Do you have any exciting summer plans?

AL: Yes! This summer will be the most stressful but also the most rewarding yet. I’ll be interning in Boston with United for a Fair Economy, which is any young activist’s dream! And on the weekends, I’ll be dogsitting for a sweet couple, working at an art museum, and spending way too much of my money on food.

HC: What’s one place you’ve always wanted to travel to but have never had the chance?

AL: Venezuela. Those rocky views are just phenomenal. I would do anything to be in a landscape that could inspire people as creative as the creators of Up.

HC: You find out today that all your final papers and exams have been cancelled. What do you do with your newfound freedom before you leave campus?  

AL: This may sound kind of lame, but I would probably do a bunch of brainstorming and planning! My friends and I are starting up an SAEPi colony here at Brandeis and since I'm the Community Service Chair, I really want to jump right into my responsibilities. There are so many different ideas floating around in my head--like writing letters to deployed soldiers and holding workshops for school children--so I'm excited.

Quick Facts:

Favorite Dessert - Literally half of what Sherman offers! There were three consecutive weeks where I was eating around 5 desserts a day, mainly consisting of brownies. Mmm

Favorite Animal - Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Tigers

Favorite way to unwind after a long day - Having dinner with a very close friend

First Celebrity Crush - Jesse McCartney