This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

There must be a gene in my DNA that codes for my love of TJMaxx. For as long as I can remember I have been shopping there. Maybe it’s because my dad used to be a manager there or maybe it’s because I love the adrenaline rush I get from finding a good deal, but all I know is that TJMaxx is one of my favorite places in the world.

Quick background: How does TJMaxx work? Have you seen those commercials for TJMaxx and Marshalls (they happen to be owned by the same company; so is Home Goods)? Companies sell their products to TJMaxx for an extremely low price when they have over-produced them, which we then benefit from. And benefit I do! At any given time I am wearing something I got at TJ’s. TJMaxx furnishes my entire dorm room; in fact, I got my comforter for 20 bones two summers ago. I also own three trunks, a lamp, baskets, pillows, dresses, t-shirts and several pairs of shoes from there. Oh, and some scarves, jewelry, paintings and dishes. Needless to say, you can find anything at TJMaxx. 

So what’s the problem? Why doesn’t everyone shop at TJMaxx? When you walk into a TJ’s, it can be overwhelming. A friend of mine told me she didn’t shop there because she felt like she had to dig to find a good item. While I won’t deny that there are some items that I would NEVER, and I repeat NEVER, buy at these discount stores (think orange, strapless, cheetah and zebra printed dress), but there are some real gems among the grenades. Take a deep breath, I am about to solve all your TJMaxx woes.

It has become the running joke whenever someone asks me where I got something. “Where did you get that?” someone will ask and, before the question has finished being asked, someone will shout “TJMAXX!” Not to boast but I feel as though I have a good handle on how to shop at TJ’s. So instead of shrugging off the challenge of shopping at TJMaxx, take my advice and you will find the best items, all at ridiculously low prices! I went to TJ’s during break (now mind you, this was my third time in five days, I admit I have a problem) and came up with the TJMaxx code of conduct: 

1. The right shoes: This should be a given for any shopping trip. But specifically at TJMaxx, make sure you wear shoes that can be easily taken on and off and require that you are wearing socks because you will be trying on shoes! 

2. A plan: Now, if it is your first time at TJMaxx, this may be a bit hard because you don’t have an idea of the layout of the store but, for people who have been there before, this is a must! Every time I shop I follow the same attack route. This ensures that I will see every item in the store! First I hit up the home-goods section, then I cross over to the shoes, then the clothes, then the handbags, and then I finish up with jewelry and scarves. This happens to be perfect for the layout of my store, so don’t base your plan off of this.

3. Spend extra time in the clearance section: Think that the clearance section of TJ’s is full of junk? You are wrong! Great pieces can be found in this section (remember that comforter I mentioned earlier—regular $70, clearance for 20—that’s a $50 saving!) but they are sometimes hard to find so spend a few extra minutes to examine the pieces in this section. They are marked with red tags!

4. Speed is the key: When it comes to the clothes section there are SO many items, which could take you forever. The key to speeding through all the items, while having the chance to give each one a once-over has to do with how the clothes are positioned on the rack. Push all the clothes over to the right side of the rack, then with the flick of your right wrist, whisk the item on a hanger over to the left side and repeat! This saves you so much time but still allows you to get a good look at everything. 

5. Budget: Like every good fashionista knows, going into a great store without a budget can be detrimental to your bank account or credit score, so be cautious about how much you spend. 12.99 for a cute top is a great deal, but 12.99 for six tops is almost $80!

6. The grass is always greener on sale: Just because that top is $7 doesn’t mean you need to get it. TJMaxx does have some iffy merchandise, so be careful—just because it is on sale doesn’t mean it is cute. Ask yourself: Do I really need this? Is it actually cute? 

7. Have fun: The most important rule of shopping is to have fun! If this means you need to approach shopping at TJMaxx in a completely different manner than I do, by all means go for it. If this means you need to bring a friend, go for it. If it means you need to skip the dressing room and use the aisle instead (Guilty—What!? The Newton TJMaxx dressing room has a long line!), go for it. Whatever your style is, go for it because TJ’s is all about finding what is right for you.

I hope that these seven things help you along your journey at TJ’s because I promise you that there is something for everyone at this store. Also, some TJMaxx stores have a “Runway,” which is where you can get designer clothes for super cheap. When I say super cheap, I mean $700 shoes for $350 but that still is a GREAT deal. You can use the online store locator to see which stores have this section. Another thing to remember is that every store is different. If you struck out at one store, try another! Hint: The one in Newton is fantastic. Possibly the best TJMaxx I have ever been to! So give the store a try, bring some friends along with you and, if no one will come with you, give me a call—I am always up for a TJMaxx run!