Make a Valentine’s Day Dessert in Less Than Two Minutes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Valentine’s day might as well be the national holiday for chocolate eating. Couples get each other chocolate, hopeless romantics eat out their emotions with chocolate while watching The Notebook, and friends give each other chocolate treats as tokens of their appreciation. Whatever the situation, chocolate is always involved. But if you’re tired of giving your loved ones the same old chocolate bar, here is a chocolate mug cake recipe that will take you 70 seconds to make.

You will need (serving 2 mugs):

½ cup all-purpose flour

¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder

½ teaspoon baking powder

¼ cup + 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon of kosher salt

½ cup + 2 tablespoons of milk (not skim)

¼ cup of oil

2 tablespoons of mini- chocolate chips

Valentines Edition:

Add one scoop of ice cream on the top (preferably strawberry)

Add whipped cream

Add heart shaped or red and pink sprinkles

Add a cherry

How to make this delicious mug cake:

1.      Make sure your microwave setting is on high

2.      Grab two mugs and add 1 ½  of water to prevent overflowing

3.      Mix milk and oil in a bowl and then pour it on top of your dry ingredients

4.      Divide batter in two mugs and add chocolate chips

5.      Microwave each mug for 70 seconds

6.      Add one scoop of ice cream and other valentines day themed decorations

7.      Enjoy!

This recipe is perfect if you’re flying solo and watching movies or chilling with your friends on Valentines. If you and your significant other are want to eat a yummy dessert, this recipe is fast to make. The best part is that most of the ingredients can be found at the C-Store in Usdan so if you’re last minute improvising, you can make this homemade cake in no time. Indulge!

Original recipe and photo source: http://www.dessertfortwo.com/2014/05/microwave-chocolate-mug-cakes/

Hola! I am a first year from Puerto Rico. I'm passionate about writing, feminism, social justice, and health.
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.