Low Calorie Alcoholic Beverages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Many women worry about gaining weight from drinking too much alcohol in college, so here’s a bit of advice about how to drink without packing on the pounds. Keep in mind that “while alcohol doesn’t contain fat, it contains 7 calories per gram” (www.exercise.about.com).

Higher Proof = More Calories

As described on WebMD: It’s the mixers, syrups, and sodas that really get people into calorie trouble, because most drinks start with 1.5 ounces of distilled spirits that only have around 96 calories, but mixologists can easily turn that into a drink with hundreds of calories,” says Carolyn O’Neil, MS, RD, co-author of The Dish on Eating Healthy and Being Fabulous.

The higher the alcohol content, the higher the calories, says O’Neil. For example:

·       80-proof vodka (40% alcohol; the most common type) has 64 calories per 1 oz

·       86-proof vodka (43% alcohol) has 70 calories/1 oz

·       90-proof vodka (45% alcohol) has 73 calories/1 oz

·       100-proof vodka (50% alcohol) has 82 calories/1 oz

Consider Fruit Juice!

In addition to taking the alcohol-content into consideration, it’s important to think about what else is in the drink, as mentioned above, such as mixers, syrups, and sodas. Consider mixing vodka with cranberry juice or orange juice. Even though the calories from various fruit juices are similar to those from soda, juice tends to be more nutritious and the calories are not as “empty” (lacking in nutrients).

Chose Wine over Beer

Wine is generally lower in calories than beer. According to www.caloriecount.about.com, a glass of white wine has about 85 calories, whereas a can of beer has about 150 calories. Additionally, the alcohol content of wine is about 10 – 15%, whereas the alcohol content of beer is about 3-6%. So if you are looking to achieve a buzz, you would be set with either a glass or two of wine or four or five cans of beer. So you’re looking at about:

170 calories from wine vs. 750 calories from beer

(2 glasses of wine vs. 5 cans of beer)

Opt for Low Calorie Mixers

Mixers such as Diet Coke, Club Soda, and Tonic Water are all mixers that are all low in calories but still add carbonation and taste to your drink.

Hopefully this information helps you make smart drink choices the next time you go out! Drink responsibly ;)

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.