Julia Brown ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Julia Brown

Year: 2019

Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland

Majors/Minors: HSSP Major with a CAST minor

Her Campus: What attracted you to Brandeis? 

Julia Brown: It being in New England- I love New England. The size of the school was ideal, plus its focus on social justice, and how liberal it is.

JC: What activities are you involved with on campus? 

JB: Alright, so, I’m a member of the Company B a capella group, and within the group I am the co-choreographer and co-publicist. I am a coordinator for Kids Connection in Waltham Group. I work for Hillel. I was also Ms. Darbis in the 24 Hour Musical. I am a Zumba instructor starting this year, and everyone should go on Tuesdays at 6:45!

HC:What is your proudest moment at Brandeis so far? 

JB: My first semester when someone on a tour asked me for directions, and I finally was able to give directions.

HC: What is one way you’ve changed since starting at Brandeis? 

JB: I think that I’ve definitely become a lot more laid back and relaxed, because I’m learning that a lot of things don’t work out, but you have to go with the flow to survive.

HC: Advice for first years?

JB: Relax- everything is going to fall into place. Just focus on what you like and what makes you happy and you’ll get there.

HC: What did you do for your midyear semester? 

JB: I stayed at home and worked two jobs and interned at a nonprofit that brought art back to Baltimore City.

HC: How would you say midyears are unique? 

JB: I think they’re unique because they’re able to be flexible and are willing to put themselves out there. Even though they’re a little forced to be in that situation, they handle it really well and are able to make something amazing out of an unexpected situation.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

JB: I see myself helping people, and I guess that’s really it. Hopefully with a good haircut, too.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time? 

JB: HA, free time. But, I really just like to spend time with my friends, catch up with people, really just savor the fact that I do have free time too.

Favorite spot on campus: Benches outside Usdan

Favorite class at Brandeis so far: I’m really enjoying American Healthcare, Law and Policy

Celebrity crush: Always and forever, Leonardo DiCaprio

Prized possession: Easy! My Hydro Flask.

Favorite place to go on the weekend: Any ice cream place in Boston

Favorite quote: “Surthrive” (Survive and thrive) –Julia Brown

Native Rhode Islander with a love for the ocean and all types of coffee.