Joel Burt-Miller ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Biology/HSSP

Hometown: The Boogie Down Bronx, NY

Activities involved in: Shapiro Campus Center Team working at the Info Booth and the Game room, MOCA (Men of Color Alliance), Waltham Group: Afternoon Enrichment, Brandeis Global Medical Brigades

HC: How’d you get involved with all of your on campus activities?

JBM: Well two of my interests are medicine and working with teenagers so Brandeis Global Medical Brigades and Waltham Group: Afternoon Enrichment fit me. With Brandeis Global Medical Brigades I will be going to Honduras to assist in a health clinic and with Afternoon Enrichment I have a middle school student assigned to me that I mentor. I also like meeting new people so I saw the Campus Center Team as a great job for me. Shout out to MOCA, that’s just family.

HC: If you had more time in a day what would you do?

JBM: If I had more time I would pick up IM sports, like football and basketball. I would also box more.

HC: What’s you favorite class you’ve taken so far?

JBM: Communication and Media with Professor McIntosh. It was a cool class where we talked about the ways people communicate and are communicated to across different cultures. It was interesting and McIntosh is a great professor.

Relationship status: Single

HC: What’s your ideal date?

JBM: My ideal date would be something very chill and relaxed, where we could sit back, talk, and get to know each other more.

HC: What do you look for in a girl?

JBM: I look for a girl who is funny, down-to-earth, confident, not afraid to show off her beautiful smile. celeb crush: Sofia Vergara

Favorites…

Food: To me all food is good food, but I would say any kind of Jamaican food.

Place to eat on campus: The Stein & as of this year, Sherman on a good day.

Movie: Goodwill Hunting

TV show: Breaking Bad, but I can’t forget the classics, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air & The Cosby Show

Music: I am very open to a lot of genres but my favorites would be Hip-Hop/Rap, Dancehall, Reggae, and R&B.

Artist: Bob Marley, had to go old school.

HC: What’s your hidden talent?

JBM: I write music and I rap. To me music is a way for me to express my thoughts. I am looking to start releasing songs soon so be on the look out, Jay BM Music.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.