This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

College can be stressful for people who like their alone time, especially for first years. Being sociable and making new friends can take a lot out of you, and adjusting to a new way of living can be overwhelming. These are some tips to help combat the feelings of fatigue and exhaustion that come with college life. 

Disclaimer: These tips work for me, but they might not necessarily work for you. Feel free to draw on any of my advice, and figure out your own tricks too! 

1.) Showering 

Sharing a bathroom can be tricky, and when 15 girls have to share two showers between them, finding a time a shower can be even trickier. But I’ve got you covered. I’ve found that the best time to freshen up is during the middle of the day; I normally take mine after my classes end at 2 PM. Now, that’s not the most conventional time for a shower, but trust me: you’ll have the bathroom all to yourself. You can play your own music and sing as loud as you want with no fear of judgement. 

2.) Food

It’s a known fact that we all need to eat. But sometimes, the idea of going to one of the dining halls sounds very unappealing. It might be because they’re too many people, or that it’s the weekend and you don’t want to change into actual clothes. Whatever the reason may be, I’ve got a couple tips for college eating. 

Dinner is usually the busiest time in the dining halls, but there are some times where they’re pretty empty. I live in Massell Quad, so I normally eat dinner in Sherman. The quietest times in Sherman are usually before and after the 6:30-7:30 PM window. But of course, going at those times doesn’t work for everyone. If this applies to you, getting a Green Box might be your best option. You can use that meal swipe without having to sit in the loud and crowded dining hall. Don’t be afraid to sit by yourself, either! It’s totally normal to eat in the dining hall while doing work or watching something on your computer. Don’t feel embarrassed; no one’s judging you. 

3.) Walking around campus

I’ve found that in between classes the walkways can get pretty crowded. People are walking in every direction, and they don’t seem to follow the rules of the road. But never fear! I have a solution to this: take Loop Road around the outer edges of campus to get to places like the Rabb Steps, the residence halls, and the SCC. I use it all the time, and I run into way fewer people than I do walking straight up the hill. It might take longer, but you’ll be sure to get your steps in. And the view is gorgeous right now! I call it my Scenic Route. 

4.) Study Spaces

Doing homework is stressful as it is; you shouldn’t have to add the stress of finding a good place to do it on top of that. And sometimes, being in a public place like the SCC or the first floor of the library can be a big distracter. I’m partial to the lower levels of the library where you can find quiet, private areas to study. Better yet are the lounges in the dorms. There are lots of times when there aren’t any people in them, so they basically become your own private study room. And studying in your room is acceptable, too!

5.) Friends

Friends are essential to a good college experience. (And no, the show Friends doesn’t count.) But when large gatherings of people tire you out quickly, social events tend to be more of a stressor and less of a fun activity. You can be social and still have a good time, though! Try skipping the big party, and instead, plan some small get-togethers with your friends. Some favorites with my friend group include movie nights and game nights. Something as simple as eating food and playing Cards Against Humanity can be a super fun way to be social. Try doing your homework with your friends, too! Study sessions can be fun and helpful at the same time. 

Hope this helps all my fellow Brandeis introverts!

Lindsey is from a small town in upstate New York. She's currently a sophomore at Brandeis and is double majoring in english and creative writing with a minor in studio art. You can usually find her reading or watching marvel movies.
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.