How To Nail Your Next Internship…When You’re Pressed For Time!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Dilemma: School is almost out for the year, and you realize that the two hundred companies who received a copy of your resume have not gotten back to you. The pressure is on to get a summer internship, but nowhere seems to be hiring this late in the year. What to do? Don’t panic.

Be persistent and be creative. If you really feel that an internship is what you want this summer, do not hesitate. Contact the departments in the offices, magazines, law firms, theaters, and museums, (and more!) that interest you. If they don’t respond to your first e-mail, send another! Even if a company is not advertising that they are looking for interns, it might work to your advantage to contact them and explain your interest. They could always use the extra help!

Be quick. If a company is putting out a post explaining that they need interns, chances are, hundreds of other students are applying for these same internships. If a company posts about opportunities, and you desperately want this internship, be speedy! Get your application or resume sent to them immediately. This ensures that other candidates are not interviewed and hired before you are even considered for the spot! The quicker you respond, the sooner you can be considered, and you can (hopefully) be offered the position!

Do not be too ambitious. It may be your dream to be Anna Wintour’s personal intern; however, your chances of receiving this position are remote. Instead, seek out smaller publications and apply for an internship in a less competitive department. Start small, and work your way up! I know from personal experience that Lincoln Center never emailed me back, (no surprises there!), however, most of the smaller, local theaters I emailed were happy to hear I was interested in interning and excited to set up interviews with me.

Follow your Interests. If you spend all of your free time writing for Brandeis publications and taking journalism classes… then your resume will reflect this. Unless your secret passion is to be a lawyer, your resume will probably not demonstrate this interest. Therefore, applying for an internship in your district attorney’s office may not be most valuable. Most internship spots are competitive; allow your passion for the industry shine through. If you’re simply sending out a non-personalized resume to every single job opportunity posted on Media Bistro, employers will probably be able to tell.

Use Resources. Here at Brandeis we have the Hiatt Career Center. Do not limit yourself – go and see if they have summer options! Also, employers often seek out interns from their alma maters, so asking for contacts of Brandeis alumni is always a good idea! 

Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.