How I Dealt With an Emotionally Challenging Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

The other day in class we talked about a heavy topic, it’s not something that I really want to talk about here, but I think it’s important to go over how I went about collecting myself and creating a way to calm down again.

Right after stepping out of that classes I cried and cried and then cried some more. I could barely pull myself together, but I had another class to get to afterward. So, I went to the bathroom, cried a little more and then went to class. Right after sitting down, I emailed my professor and told her I would love to speak to her about what was discussed in class and if she was free. Within minutes she replied and told me that she wasn’t on campus but sent me her and said that evening she would be free to talk that evening. Even though I did not give her a call that night, I was so grateful that she gave me her number, and I knew that if I absolutely needed to, she was there to help and guide me through everything that I was feeling.

So, after the class, I went to my room and took a nap nice, but still woke up feeling sad. I can’t even remember how that day went as I think back to it. But I texted my boyfriend to let him know that I was sad, and honestly… he was no help. He didn’t understand what was being taught in the class and because he was so stressed on his own side of schoolwork, he did not honestly care to find out. Which is understandable but did not make me feel any better. Even though I was hurt now by him and sad from the discussion in class, I was so able to learn from that experience overall.

It’s hard to have a conversation with someone and feel better afterward when that person doesn’t have any knowledge of the subject. There’s no room to for conversation and if there isn’t a healthy conversation, what’s the point in even talking.  I knew that I had to go to someone that was going to understand where I was coming from, handle me crying without babying me and would speak through how I was feeling with me. I ended up going to a close friend of mine that knows about almost everything going on and was able to have a healthy conversation with me, about my boyfriend and the class at this point.

I wouldn’t regret going through that terrible Friday because at the end of it all I found out that talking to a person that already kind of gets what’s the issue at hand can make the situation 100 times better!

Kamil Banks

Brandeis '22

If in exchange for your time I give you this smile :)
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.