The Hook-Up: What’s It Really All About?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Hooking up is not a phenomenon. I’m talking, “let’s-get-down-and-dirty-and-wake-up-in-the-morning-and-go-do-laundry-like-it-never-happened.” Newspapers and magazines like The New York Times try to write off this “new thing” as a product of our generation, something that has just popped up; something that men used to dominate but is now rearing its head towards women.

The truth is: we all do it. It’s a college thing and its time to get things straight.

Why Hook Up?

Tonight you have a paper to write, two novels to finish reading, three latte posts, and four club meetings. Welcome to college. The busier your schedule is, the more likely you are going to let loose on Friday/Saturday. And if you get crunk enough, you are going to hook up with someone. It’s not because you are a heartless hussy who can’t be bothered with an emotional attachment or a memory of the night before. You hook up because it’s easy, convenient, and ain’t nobody got time for that relationship thing!

Most college students, especially of the Brandeisian persuasion, are so focused on their careers, academics, and extracurricular activities that a hook up satisfies their immediate needs but doesn’t mess with their busy schedule.

What IS Hooking Up?

We could write a novel on this, because to be honest, no matter whom you ask or where you go, you will never get a straight answer. Your safest definition: it can be anything from kissing to intercourse. The point is, you don’t want any strings attached.

The Manners of Hooking Up

Now this one is a doozy. While you may have your suave on check to get that honey, you may not know how to actually conduct yourself post booty-call, just remember there is only one golden rule:

Always acknowledge the person. Even if you don’t quite remember, once you figure it out, it is your duty to say “Hey.” “Hey” does not mean, “I love you, I want to have your babies.” It means, “Hey, I know you.”

Now that you have said hello, maybe you want to make this into something that can pay forward a bit more often. You have entered the “Booty Call Zone.” Here are some helpful tips to get the most out of your booty call:

1. Choose someone that is not in your social circle, but kind of

You want to bump into them on the weekend, but you don’t want to spend every moment with them.

2. Don’t be nervous

Choose someone that you don’t get the butterflies for. You don’t need this to be a high school crush.

3. Don’t be a tattle-tell

This hook up is between you and him. You can tell your best friend but your entire Skydiving club does not need to know.

4. Minimize the text

Of course this may be your main mode of communication, but keep it to simple location alerts. Don’t over-text or talk too much, especially while under the influence.

5. Don’t sleep over

This is truly a personal choice, but if you really are going for the ultimate booty call, this is not snuggle time, you got things to do!

Remember: if you feel something more, it’s time to re-evaluate.

While a hit-and-quit-it is nice, also remember there is a chance you may actually like someone. In that case, be honest. If you feel like your booty call is moving towards something more real, you need to make sure you are communicating. If you aren’t into it anymore, then you need to communicate this as well.

Above all, be safe with your body and with your emotions.

Chastity DeLorme is a art enthusiast, writer, and pop culture lover. She currently lives in Boston, MA, finishing up her degree in Film, Television & Interactive Media with a minor in Business.
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.