Holiday Gift Ideas for a Girl on a Budget: Kitting Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

College and debt seem to be synonymous nowadays. As the holidays loom closer I find myself stressing over how I am going to pay for gifts for everyone. Christmas for me used to be a time to look forward to, and it still is, but I am starting to see the financial burden that Christmas placed on my parents. I would like to say that I am very fortunate that I have been able to have the financial means to both receive and give gifts. After scouring the internet I think I have found a solution to my holiday woes… knitting!

Knitting is an awesome hobby to take up. Not only does it provide you with a unique skill, but it also is great at reducing stress. I also love the sense of accomplishment and pride I feel when I finish a project. It is also pretty cheap to do and very easy skill to pick up. Once you buy your needles (which can cost around 8-10 dollars) you have them forever. Yarn is also very cheap with some being as low as three dollars. Once you choose your project (say a hat) then I would recommend searching the internet for patterns (fancy knitter talk for instructions). There are plenty of free patterns out there to find. I have also found Youtube to be very helpful in learning the basics and I have even found step-by-step tutorials for projects.

Here are some gift ideas:

1. Scarfs

The good ole scarf. This is one of the simplest projects you can start with and is a great way to practice all of the different types of stitches. 

2. Hats

The project I am currently knitting right now is a hat for my grandfather’s birthday! Once you have mastered the scarf you can start making cute hats for your friends and family.

3. Socks

Who doesn’t love a nice pair of warm socks! This project is a little harder than the first two, but still in the beginner range. 

I just wanted to end this by saying that it is ok if you are not good when you start. I know this is cheesy, but it really is the thought that counts. Last year I knit my grandfather a scarf that was holey and barely resembled a scarf. I thought he would hate it, but he ended up loving it and hanging it up to his office. Let the holiday season begins!

Angela Self

Brandeis '22

I am a sophomore at Brandeis University and I am majoring in International and Global Studies with a minor in Arabic!
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.