History of April Fool’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

*The following April Fool’s history is not an April Fools joke.*

April 1st is a day for practical jokes. It has become so universally celebrated that it is referred to as a holiday. But what are the origins of this silly holiday?

The exact start of April Fools day is unclear. Ancient Romans used to celebrate the New Year on April 1st with fun and joking festivities. In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII created a new calendar which moved New Year’s Day from April 1st to January 1st. Many people continued to celebrate the New Year on April 1st on purpose or accidentally due to lack of information. From this false celebration, people began to play tricks on those who still celebrated the New Year on April 1st. This same story is told but with the French taking the Roman’s place. Both cultures called those who still celebrated in April, “April fools.”

Another theory is that April Fool’s Day derived from European spring festivals of renewal. During these festivals, pranks and other mischievous festivities would be celebrated.

Many different countries have a long history and traditions associated with the day. In the United Kingdom, if you play a joke in the morning the person you have played is the April fool. If you play a joke in the afternoon, you are the April fool.

No matter what story you believe or how many jokes you wish to play, keep an eye out for mysterious behavior on April 1st.