This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and in no way reflect the opinions of Brandeis University or Her Campus Brandeis.

So, high school to college relationships…can they work? Many people decide to break it off before school, but many also choose to brave the waters of college together. If you are a first year still in a relationship with a high school sweetheart, chances are things are getting a little tense.  You might be doubting if you’re going to make it past the infamous “turkey drop.” You are not alone.  I don’t know the statistics, but it seems as if the majority of high school to college relationships do end in the first semester of college.  Knowing this you may think that your relationship is doomed, but those upperclassman still dating people that they knew before college prove that there is a chance that you can make it.  It won’t be a cakewalk, but I high school to college relationships are doable.  

If you are in a long distance relationship with your high school sweetheart, you’ve got it hardest. There is no doubt that long distance relationships are tough no matter the ages or the circumstances of the couple.  But this doesn’t mean that it’s impossible. I have had friends make their high school relationships work all throughout freshman year and some even beyond.  With today’s technology it’s easier than ever to keep in touch.  From a simple text message to a scheduled FaceTime session, the options are endless.  This will be important to keeping your relationship strong throughout the year.  Another major element of a long distance relationship is trust.  You have to trust your significant other.  If you don’t, you may as well end it now.  You are miles away from each other, and both of you are meeting tons of new people, going to parties, spending late hours in the library with peers.  The opportunities for flirting and even cheating are endless.  But it is important to remember why you are in a long distance relationship in the first place: because you believed that it was worth it.  A relationship that strong lives on trust and honesty. Check out Anna Rae Stern’s long distance relationship survival guide for some more tips. 

Now, I don’t have any personal experience with this, but I think that if you go to the same school as your high school boyfriend or girlfriend, you may have it a little easier.  There are far more opportunities to see each other and keep that flame going.  Going through the experience of a new school together can bring you closer than ever.  Be careful though, it is still important that you don’t cling to each other. Make sure you each have some breathing time.  You don’t and probably shouldn’t do everything together.  College is a time of growth and learning.  Your teenage years are ending and you are dipping your toe into the adult world. You are finally starting to come into your own.  Make sure your significant other allows you a chance to grow, and you them. Nobody stays the same after high school, but if you really love each other, then you can make it work by growing individually and together as a couple.

Whether or not your significant other is far away or close by, it is important that no matter what the two of you are on the same page.  In order to make your relationship work, you have to have the maturity to discuss your relationship.  Whether things are going great, or you’re going through a rough patch you need to be able to talk and communicate effectively with your partner.  College is a big change from high school, but it is one that you go through together.  If you love each other enough to take your relationship to college, you have a chance.  Nurture that chance with trust, communication, and optimism.  And have faith that things will work out the way they are meant to be. 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.