This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Hello and welcome to Brandeis HC’s newest column!! Here we’ll be dropping our favorite foods, meal hacks, and recipes, and I am so excited that I get to start us off. In this edition, I’ll be sharing 3 of my favorite recipes that are unbelievably easy and super delicious. They’re also great for meal prepping and all 3 keep for about a week in the fridge. 

(Photo courtesy of Pixabay) https://www.pexels.com/photo/cooking-cookware-cuisine-delicious-263022/

Alright to start, let’s talk protein. Cooking meat well is difficult, and I honestly don’t have the skill or the energy. That’s why these super simple homemade turkey burgers are amazing!! You can substitute the turkey for any other ground meat, but be sure to adjust the cooking times accordingly. You’ll need: A pound of ground turkey (I always try to get the leanest I can)

½ cup of breadcrumbs

An egg

½ teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon onion powder

Salt and pepper to taste

Any other spices you want to add! 

To make, you just combine all ingredients, form into patties, and cook in a covered skillet with a touch of olive oil. It’s best to cover the skillet to ensure even cooking throughout the burger. 

My favorite hack with these burgers is this: you can actually freeze them just like you would with premade turkey burgers bought at the grocery store. Just stick them in a Tupperware container, with a piece of parchment paper in between each patty so they don’t stick to each other, and put in the freezer. Allow ~24 hours to defrost, and you’ve got a piping hot, fresh turkey burger every night for dinner. If they’re frozen, these burgers can keep up to 4 months!! 

Next, I have two sides that pair perfectly with these turkey burgers, or really any other dish. Both are courtesy of my dad (I’m pretty sure he just made them up, he’s a very good cook). They’re also both great because they’re ‘set it and forget it’ recipes, meaning there’s very little prep, and the cooking time doesn’t include you actively doing anything.

(Photo courtesy of Pixabay) https://www.pexels.com/photo/potatoes-beside-stainless-steel-cooking-pot-45247/

First is my favorite potato recipe that I can sorta convince myself is healthy. I’m constantly craving fries, but the grease and oil makes them true guilty pleasures, and not an option for a weeklong meal prep. This recipe is the solution! These potatoes taste practically like fries but aren’t fried in oil, so they’re *marginally* healthier. You’ll need:

Whole russet potatoes (the recipe isn’t specific to any amount of potatoes, but I usually make a pound for the week)

Salt and pepper to taste

Olive oil

Paprika, rosemary, or any other spice you want to throw in

To make, cut up the potatoes into approximately ½ inch cubes. Leave the skin on for even more nutrients! Put the potatoes in a bowl and salt them, then let sit for 15-30 minutes (this makes them extra crispy by pulling some water out of the potatoes). Toss them in your choice of spices, olive oil, and put on a sheet pan. It’s very important that they not be crowded on the pan (i.e. none of them are touching) for maximum crispiness. Pop them in the oven at 400 for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. 

(Photo by Suzy Hazelwood) https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photography-of-orange-carrots-1306559/ 

The last recipe for this first column is my favorite vegetable recipe in the world. Seriously. I used to beg my dad to make these for dinner every single week, and I never even realized how simple it is! You’ll need: 

1 ¼ pounds carrots

4 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons sugar

To make, peel and cut the carrots in ⅛ inch thick rounds. Combine all ingredients in a large pot with 2 cups of water. The water should just cover the carrots; if it doesn’t, add more water until they’re covered. Cover the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat until the carrots have absorbed all of the water, about 40 minutes. Make sure to check on them periodically, as different stoves and pots can result in varying cooking times. 

And there you have it! 3 recipes that require minimal effort, keep well, and are absolutely delicious! Don’t forget to post pictures when you make these recipes and tag @hercampusbrandeis !!! 

Alina is currently a junior at Brandeis University studying Labor Studies and Social Movements. She loves tearing the system down and doing theatre and she hopes you enjoy her writing.
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.