Hannah Katcoff ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Hannah Katcoff was probably one of the first people I met at Brandeis University, since we were in the same Orientation group. As always, she was chipper and eager to embark on the four year Brandeis journey. She was anxious to get involved and make a large contribution to the community. Since then, she has devoted her time and energy to Relay for Life, one of the biggest non-profit fundraising events here, where she now holds the position of Event Chair. She has previously held positions such as Vice President of College Against Cancer, Orientation Leader, Brandeis Community Engaged Fellow, and Vagina Monologues participant! With Relay for Life only a week away, Hannah has was thrilled to sit down with me and answer a few of my questions.   

AB: What is your major?
HK: My majors are Economics and Health: Science, Society, and Policy

AB: What is Relay for Life?
HK: Relay For Life is the amazing signature fundraiser of the American Cancer Society. Teams, which consist of 8 to 15 people, walk around the track in Gossman. Each team must have at least one person walking around the track at all times. When team members are not walking, they can take a breather and partake in some of the fun activities around the track. Since cancer doesn’t sleep, neither do we! There are various ceremonies throughout the night to celebrate survivors, to remember those we’ve lost, and to fight back against the disease. Live entertainment, food, and games are available all night at the event. In the past we have had over 800 participants attend and raised 86,000 dollars for the cause! It’s been dubbed the most fun, memorable, and meaningful event each year at Brandeis!

AB: How did you get involved in Relay for Life? What influence you?
HK: Well that’s a funny story. Friends jokingly call me Queen Relay, but when I got to Brandeis, I had never even heard of Relay For Life! At the Activities Fair the spring of my freshman year, some energetic girl jumped in front of me asking if I hated cancer. “Of course,” I said. She handed me far too many slips of papers than necessary and I went back to my room. (P.S. I have totally stolen this technique of recruitment) Having signed up for 17 different list-serves, I went to a few club meetings. No other club was as passionate or as friendly as the Relay for Life committee. I still didn’t really understand the purpose of Relay until about a month into my involvement, but it was a club I knew that I definitely wanted to be a part of.

AB: Why do you think Relay for Life is an important event to be a part of?
HK: Because cancer affects everyone! I truly believe that everybody knows someone who has had cancer or knows someone who knows someone. As cliché as it sounds, it is an event for the entire community! It doesn’t matter whether you are a registered Republican or Democrat or what your opinions are on the conflict in Middle East or what type of music you listen to – cancer is a common hate! Relay For Life is a night of reflection, a time to think about the past, present, and future.

AB: What are some fun performances coming up this year at Relay?
HK: OOOHH! Well… we have Zumba (more fun for the super uncoordinated), a Dunk tank, a moon bounce, sand art, some pretty awesome student bands, a-capella, and a DJ (can someone say dance party??)

AB: Has being part of Relay influenced your future career/life choices?
HK: My experiences with Relay For Life have inspired me to commit to promoting healthy behaviors, at least for those around me! I am getting a Masters of Public Health next year, and while I can’t completely attribute that decision to Relay For Life, Relay has definitely been an important influence.

AB: Is it too late to join Relay for Life? How do you sign up?
HK: NOPE!! Not too late! You can sign up at www.relayforlife.org/brandeisuniversity by joining a team or starting a new team of your own! If you raise 100 dollars before the event, you may be able to receive a t-shirt at Relay. Registration is now $15. If you register at the event, the registration fee is $20! So sign up and start fundraising today!!