yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Halloween and Fall Nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Halloween Nails

Try one, try ‘em all!

Ghost
Start by painting your nail with two coats of white polish. Next use a thin brushed black polish to make two ovals for the eyes and also the mouth. Easy!

Eyes in the Dark
First paint your nail with two coats of black polish. Use a thin brushed white polish to make two small dots on the bottom corner of your nail. Once that is dry, use a thin brushed black to make a smaller dot in each white dot. Lastly, use a thin brushed yellow to make the corners of the eyes pointier and give it the cat eye look.

Witch’s Hat
Start by painting your nail green, or any color you prefer, with two coats. Then, use a thin brushed black to make a line at the bottom of your nail, and then make a triangle coming up from the bottom. Don’t make it to perfect because you want the hat to have a fabric look to it. Then use a silver or charcoal thin-brushed polish to make wrinkle lines on the hat.

Pumpkin
Paint your whole nail with two coats of orange. Next use a thin brushed green to make the stem at the top of your nail. After, use a thin brushed yellow to make two vertical yellow lines that cut your nail into thirds. Last use your thin-brushed black polish to make two triangles and a wide “w” to make the jack-o-lantern face.

Vampire
First paint your whole nail with a light pastel blue. After, use a thin brushed black polish to make the widow’s peak and fill in the whole top. Next, make two white circles a little further down for the eyes. Then, use the black again to make a smaller dot in each eye and outline the bottom third of the eye. Make a “u” shape below and between the eyes for the nose and a straight line further down with two upside down triangles connected to it for the mouth and fangs. Color in the two triangles with a thin brushed white. Last, use a thin brushed red to make it look like blood is dripping from the vampire’s mouth.

Fall Nails

Maroon with Navy Bow
Paint all of your nails with two coats of your favorite fall maroon (I used Essie’s Berry Naughty). Next, on your ring finger, paint half of your nail with a rich royal blue. Last, use a thin brushed copper or gold and make a line between the maroon and the navy. Then on each side of the line make two loops to give it the bow effect!

Copper Gold Fade
First, paint all of your nails with two coats of a copper color. Then, use a gold polish to paint each nail approximately 1/3 of the way up.  Finally, use a thin-brushed gold sparkles to make random lines starting from the bottom of the nail to about halfway up to give it a faded look.

Don’t forget the top coat!!

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.