Guys, Check Your Credit Score: The Lulu App

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Remember that one time you hooked up with a guy and you just wanted to warn the world that he was going to steal your toothbrush and not pay for dinner? Well no fear, there’s an app for that!

Girls are going coo-coo for the new Lulu app. Created by two best friends Alexandra Chong and Alison Schwartz; Lulu is an app that plugs into Facebook to pull information on every guy you have made contact with. Lulu uses 3rd party access to grab pictures, relationship statuses, and location from guys.  Chong and Schwartz created it as “a private place where women can share.” But how does it work?

1. Download the app- it’s free of course.
  2. Sign in to your Facebook account, don’t worry they won’t post anything you say.
  3. Confirm you are indeed a female.
  4. Pick a boy/man.
  5. Be honest, be brutal, but most importantly BE REAL.
  6. Walk away feeling like you’ve shared pertinent information with the world.

These consumer reports act as an all-inclusive spot for a private investigation on any guy you have at least encountered on Facebook. The co-founders like to publicize through their various contests, asking for quick reviews, employing The Wall Street’s coined “sorority strategy.” In fact, Lulu’s big break came when 19-year-old Ellie Claxton from Auburn University rated 300 of her male Facebook friends, each taking less than 30 second. Ellie received a $200 for being the fastest girl to do so. Guess it pays to stereotype and categorize.

How Lulu Does Its Thing:

• When you rate your male peer, you select your relationship, i.e. past hook up, ex, friend, crush, etc.
  • Reviewers pick answers to complete sentences describing each guy.
  • Next, reviewers can select positive and negative hash tags to reflect the guy in question, like #BurnsCornflakes or #WillWatchRomComs.
  • At the end of the review, guys are given number from 1 to 10.

Although this seems phenomenally awesome, there are some questions that automatically pop up. Do we really want to degrade guys like this? Would we really be pro-hot-or-not if the roles were reversed? Guys can remove their profile on the site, but even then, this stuff is out there forever and they have no way of controlling it. Employers like to google their perspective employees and what’s to say their Lulu score of #ObssessedWithHisMom won’t ruin their shot working at Goldman Sachs or even at Olive Garden? On the other hand, this isn’t the only dating/rating/hook-up app out there. HotorNot allows users to submit photos and ask for attractiveness ratings and potential meet ups. Grinder is just for straight up one-night stands. The technology is out there and it just takes a couple of eager entrepreneurs to create the next big tell-all thing. Schwartz and Chong emphasize it is safe and harmelss, mainly to create a space for women to share and communicate. Plus don’t you want to know if the guy you have been eyeing in Spanish class is #KinkyInAllTheRightWays?

Chastity DeLorme is a art enthusiast, writer, and pop culture lover. She currently lives in Boston, MA, finishing up her degree in Film, Television & Interactive Media with a minor in Business.
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.