Glitz and Glam:Oscars 2012 Best and Worst Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

So many amazing gowns walked the Red Carpet this award season, and it’s difficult to pick just one as “Best Dressed”.  On the 84th Academy Awards, Meryl Streep won not only the Oscar for Best Actress, but was also one of the best-dressed actresses at the event.
She walked the Red Carpet in a golden Lanvin dress, finishing the look with a Lanvin clutch, antique Leid Freighton earings, and Ferragamo pumps. The 62-year-old actress managed to look age appropriate without sacrificing her looks. The gown draped over her body, covering her arms and legs without hiding too much. The neckline was just low enough to keep the dress interesting, and the detail at the bottom of the dress revealing her Ferragamo shoes (shoes that no one would want to hide) kept the look elegant and sophisticated, but not too maidenly. Streep looked amazing and it is clear in all her pictures that she felt it, too.

For the Academy Award ceremony, Cameron Diaz wore a strapless Gucci gown in a variety of neutrals. The actress looked like a dream. A frilled and sparkly skirt complimented the simplicity of the gown’s neckline. The asymmetry of the skirt kept the elegant dress interesting and accentuated her limited curves. She paired it with Ferragamo shoes and diamonds from Tiffany & Co.  When it came to her makeup and hair, Diaz kept it very simple. Her tan skin allowed her to simply wear some pink lipstick and was ready to go.

However, not everyone was as successful in the outfit they chose to wear that night. Actress Sandra Bullock wore a two-toned creped Marchesa dress. She finished off the look with Lorraine Schwartz jewelry and Casadei heels. The gown itself is beautiful, but it was unflattering on Bullock and was not an appropriate choice for this particular event. The dress looks like two separate pieces, giving it a more casual feel, which is not exactly what one strives to look like at the Oscars. The 47-year-old does not choose a dress that was too youthful for her, but quite the opposite. This particular gown aged her, and the tightly pulled ponytail contributed to this. Finally, the detail dividing the dress falls too low on her hips, making her torso appear to be much longer than her legs. Again, not something you want to do.