Genesis Leon ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY 

Year: 2016 (Junior)

Major: Biology and Health: Science, Society and Policy

Minor: Hispanic Studies

Her Campus: What made you decide to join the CORE Committee for Orientation this past year?

Genesis Leon: I decided to apply to be on the Orientation Core Committee this past year because ever since my first year at Brandeis, I had a huge appreciation for the impact that Orientation had on my life. I met one of my best friends on campus during Orientation, and I wanted to be able to help create the same experience for new students in the Class of 2018. I also love event planning (I want to be a wedding planner), so that was an added bonus!

HC: What was one of your favorite memories from orientation? What was one of your personal challenges?

GL: One of my favorite memories during Orientation was the candle lighting ceremony that took place on Opening Sunday. This year, we were able to use real flame, and it was absolutely breathtaking to see the students illuminate their candles as they thought about all they hope to accomplish throughout the next four years.

HC: What piece of advice do you have for this class of first years as they begin Brandeis?

GL: I would suggest that they take the first semester at Brandeis to find their niche. It’s true when they say that there is something for everyone here, and once they find it, they will understand why students so often call Brandeis their home.

HC: Favorite part of being on the Core Committee:

GL: My favorite part of being on the Core Committee was the first day of International Orientation, at which I got to meet students from all over the world. I had the pleasure of planning International Orientation this year, and it was amazing to see how excited new students were to be at Brandeis.

HC: What was something you wish you knew when you were a first year at Brandeis?

GL: I wish I would have known how willing faculty and staff on campus are to help students succeed in any way they can.

HC: What else are you involved with on campus?

GL: I am a Posse Scholar, a pre-med student, a Co-Chair for Special Events on Relay for Life, and a member of Colleges Against Cancer.

HC: How has your experience in Posse shaped your Brandeis experience?

GL: As a Posse scholar, I have learned how to further develop my leadership skills and apply them to my positions as a student leader. I was fortunate enough to come to this university with a support system of my Posse. They are some of my closest friends on campus, and I feel lucky to share the Brandeis experience with them.

HC: What made you decide to join the Relay For Life committee?

GL: I decided to join Relay for Life at Brandeis because I participated in the event in high school, and I was interested to see how my involvement could be taken to a new level on a college campus.

HC: What has been a favorite memory from Relay?

GL: My favorite memory from Relay is the Survivor Lap during the event. It is the first lap that is walked, with survivors accompanied by their caregivers, and it always reminds me of how wonderful a cause Relay is.

HC: How long have you been involved with Colleges Against Cancer?

GL: I was a member of Colleges Against Cancer as a first-year, and I have returned to the club this year.

HC: What was your most rewarding moment with Colleges Against Cancer?

GL: The annual Night of Lights dinner is my favorite event because it provides a space for the Brandeis community to join together and hear form professionals in the cancer research world, as well as survivors share their stories. It is a very unique and special event, and I hope that this year more students can participate!

Favorites:

Movie: Spanglish

Actor: Ryan Gosling

Musician: Maroon 5

Ice Cream Flavor: Cookie Dough

Spot on campus: Science Center Atrium

Brandeis event: SpringFest

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.