Foolproof Fashion for your Night Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I am extremely grateful that I wore a uniform in high school. Many outfit crises were averted because I didn’t have to think about what to wear to school on a daily basis. When I began college I finally could wear want I wanted and was free from sporting a gray pleated skirt and white polo shirt on a daily basis. However, life became a bit more complicated, because I had to take time to select an outfit that matched and was weather appropriate. While I finally got into a routine of planning my outfits out the night before in my head, I did found myself struggling with what to wear when I went out on the weekends. Clearly I couldn’t wear a skirt, tank top, and heels to a Dartmouth party since a. it was FREEZING and b. I was walking.

After some trial and error (like that one time I wore a leather jacket to a frat party and some spilled beer on it), I have finally come up with a fool proof regimen on what to wear when going out.

Here are my tips: 

1. Invest in a few key pieces from stores like Forever 21, H&M, and Zara. That way if someone spills beer on your shirt or it gets sweaty (we all know those basement parties can double as saunas), then you won’t be too upset about the loss of your neon tank since you didn’t spend a lot of money on it

2. Wear sensible shoes (if you’re gonna be walking to Dartmouth then you might as well be comfortable). Converse and boots without high heels make for great options. 

3. Don’t bring an expensive jacket. Don’t wear expensive jewelry or anything you’re not okay with losing. Back to rule number one—invest in clothing that you aren’t too attached to i.e. your great grandma’s earrings or a Canada Goose jacket.

4. Borrow clothes from friends if you are tired of your clothes and want to wear something different. Then you don’t have to buy another outfit to wear. One rule of thumb—make sure you commit to cleaning the garment after you wear it if you want to borrow clothes from your friend again   

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.