A Fish Out of Water: A Yankees Fan Living in a Red Sox City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Here was the April 2015 headline of a local online sports section, “Red Sox Fan Throw Beer in Yankees Fan’s Face.” (Boston.com)

While I admit that I’m no sports guru, I can say that I am a born and bred Yankees fan and I don’t expect this to change regardless of the city that I spend most of my time in. While strutting about Brandeis’ campus, I’ve yet to see much representation of any sports team in particular, although I have noted the occasional Sox T-shirt or Bruins Jersey. Upon attending a Yankees Game this past July 4th, I invested in THE perfect licensed, pale pink Yankees hat. Beyond exited that I now had this cap to first and foremost shield my ever-so-fair face from the brutal sun, I returned to my seat to order none other than a hotdog and ice cream in that plastic souvenir cap-shaped bowl.

Skip forward nearly two months

Imagine a bedroom coated in posters of inspirational quotes and countless picture frames. Now, imagine clothes scattered across the floor, sealed packages of bed sheets, school supplies, and, well…me. Among the pile of dorm room essentials lay none other than my recently adopted Yankees hat. I set it carefully atop the otherwise messy pile when the thought strikes me- a Yankees hat in Boston? Even I know that some things just don’t mesh.

Skip ahead another week

Finally settled in! Pictures hang gently across the exposed brick in my bedroom, while pillows smother my lofted bed. On my desk sit piles of textbooks, cucumber scented shampoo, and my piece of Yankees pride.

If you’re from out of state, namely New York as well as a Yankees fan, here are some things that you might experience as a Yankees Fan in Bahston!

1-      Captioning any picture taken at Fenway- “ I promise I’m still a Yankees Fan”

2-      Standing out like a sore thumb in the stands of Fenway because you don’t own and/or are repping any Boston sports clothing or accessories

3-      You feel like somewhat of a traitor

4-      Not knowing who’s up to bat because the Red Sox lineup is like a different language to you

PSA: I’ve yet to wear my Yankees hat outside of Brandeis’ campus

Brittany is a senior at Brandeis University. She loves looking for exciting new volunteer opportunities in and around her community, spreading school spirit working in Brandeis admissions, and sharing memories from her semester abroad in Denmark. In her free time, you might find her browsing Spotify for new music, scouting out hole-in-the-wall food joints, or face-timing with her eleven year old brother. Check her out on Instagram @britt_wolfe for snapshots of her life and if you're hungry, check out her foodstagram @diningonthedaily!