Festival of the Arts Grant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

For one week every spring it may not be uncommon to find interpretative dance performances in the SCC, or a musical troupe singing on the great lawn, or students swing-dancing at the Bernstein-Marcus Plaza. The legendary composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein, who also served as a Brandeis faculty member, created the Festival of the Arts in 1952. He created the festival to celebrate all forms of creative expression.

Students whose ideas require funding can apply for a grant of up to $500. Student applications will be reviewed on artistic merit, originality and innovation, engagement and ability of the student to produce the work. This year the Office of the Arts particularly wants students to focus their proposals around the Rose Art Museum in light of the Rose’s 50 year anniversary. The project could be about your personal connection to the Rose or about a certain piece of art from the Rose’s collection that inspires you.

In the application, students are required to write a brief description of the project, state three project goals, draft a budget, provide an in-depth description no more than two pages in length, include a faculty or staff reference, and submit supporting work. The application is online and the deadline is midnight Nov 30th 2012. Even if you do not have a grant, you are still eligible to participate in the festival. The actual festival will take place April 26-29, 2012.  For more info please visit www.brandeis.edu/arts/festival.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.