This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

What nail colors are in this fall? Warm grays and browns are some classic neutrals that are back in style. Check out Essie’s new collection featuring two perfect colors, ‘Miss Fancy Pants’ and ‘Don’t Sweater it,’ first a warm gray and second a brownish gray.

Gray nails are so hot this season that even Michelle Obama has been sporting them. (Check out this article about how her nails started a trend: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/07/michelle-obama-nails-nail-polis…)

Dark Details

Take out your black polish, a light and dark gray, and silver glitter polish. Start by painting your whole nail with your lightest gray. Next, about ¼ of the way from the top, make a thick dark gray stripe. Right below that, swipe across some of that glitter leaving enough room at the bottom of the nail for the black. Lastly, paint the black across the tip of your nail like a black French manicure to complete the look.

[pagebreak]
Fall Stripes 

You’ll need an orange-copper, a brown-copper, and either rainbow or gold sparkles. Begin by painting the whole nail the orange-copper. Next, halfway down the nail, paint the brown-copper all the way to the bottom. Lastly, use either rainbow or gold sparkles to make a thick French tip! (Below is a picture of my nails after I did them myself. This technique is totally doable!)

(P.S. Always start with a base coat and finish with a top-coat to make your manicure shinier and longer lasting!)

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.