This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

What does it mean to embrace your natural hair? Does it mean treating your hair with expensive products? Does it mean not using any heat or abrasive treatments? For curly girls, there’s a science to getting those buoyant, voluminous curls we all dream about, but it doesn’t always start out so easy.

Most curly girls don’t start their curly lives following a curly regimen, or sometimes even knowing that they have curly hair. While there are many, many options out there for curly girls pursuing that curl-chic ideal, the Curly Girl Method is one approach that embraces a natural, healthy way to feel confident and satisfied with your curls. The popular method mainly advocates no brushes, no heat, no silicone, and sulfate products, and minimal shampoo use.

Curly hair is a unique gift that shouldn’t be taken for granted! Listen to your mother when she tells you that some people spend hundreds of dollars to achieve a look you have naturally. In an effort to learn more about how others care for their curls, we’ve asked four curly girls at Brandeis how they treat their curls and why they decided to embrace the Curly Girl Method.

When is the last time you straightened your hair?

Curly Girl #1:

A couple of weeks ago for an event, but typically I don’t straighten my hair.

Curly Girl #2:

For events, like my brother’s wedding.

Curly Girl #3:

Probably six months ago. I usually straighten my hair about twice a year.

Curly Girl #4:

About a month ago.

When did you embrace the Curly Girl Journey?

Curly Girl #1:

I always used product, but my cousin took me to this really fancy salon in New York City about two summers ago, and I got my hair cut to my shoulders. The stylist introduced me to all the Deva Curl products and told me how to take care of my hair properly.

Curly Girl #2:

I actually had straight hair until the end of eighth grade, so I was basically forced to embrace the curls in ninth or tenth grade and no longer wanted any straightening treatments.

Curly Girl #3:

Actually about a month ago. Before, I used to always brush my curls and shampoo way too frequently. I’m already noticing differences now that I’ve decided to use natural products and stop brushing and I love it!

Curly Girl #4:

When I was younger, I used to brush my hair every day and it was always super frizzy. In eighth grade, I went to my mom’s hair stylist (my mom also has curly hair) and she cut my hair in a new way and showed me how to use product to keep it curly. It took me a while to adjust, but by the end of the year, I was a Curly Girl!

Do you use product? If so, what product and how do you use it?

Curly Girl #1:

Yes. I use Deva Curl to scrunch in my hair after I shower.

Curly Girl #2:

Yes, I do. DevaChan all the way! First, in the shower, I use the NoPoo Non-Lathering Shampoo, then I use Kirkland Conditioner from Costco, and I leave the majority of it in, then I exit the shower and I apply my DevaChan ArcAngel Gel.

Curly Girl #3:

I use DevaCurl’s curling cream after every shower. I flip my hair over, run my fingers through it, and then scrunch from the bottom up.

Curly Girl #4:

Yes! I go through different products at different times, but at the moment and for the past few months my favorite is Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk. After showering, I apply a liberal amount from the base of my head to the tips of my hair and then run my hands through my hair from the top of my head to the bottom, focusing on the tips and underneath. Then I scrunch my hair for a while and let it air-dry.

How often do you shampoo your hair? How often do you condition?

Curly Girl #1:

I shampoo my hair about three times a week and I condition my hair every day.

Curly Girl #2:

With shampoo, probably twice a week. Without shampoo, like three times a week.

Curly Girl #3:

I try to shampoo and condition every three days, and once a week, I usually put a deep conditioning mask in my hair.

Curly Girl #4:

I condition my hair every or every other day, and I shampoo probably two or three times a month.

What do you do with your hair when you go to bed?

Curly Girl #1:

I usually go to bed with my hair dry and get it wet in the morning, so I just put it in a bun so it stays out of my face and doesn’t get too tangled at night.

Curly Girl #2:

I just leave it down.

Curly Girl #3:

I put it in a high ponytail.

Curly Girl #4:

If it’s dry and the curls are still looking decent I put my hair it in a high ponytail (also known as the pineapple method) on top of my head so they don’t get smushed when I lie down. In the morning, I wet it and apply de-frizz spray and maybe more product if need be. If it’s wet at night I usually braid it after applying product, and scrunch in the morning, as though I just got out of the shower because it stays pretty wet overnight.

What is your favorite hair tip?

Curly Girl #1:

Use product and don’t use a lot of heat on your hair.

Curly Girl #2:

After applying gel, use an old, soft tee-shirt to scrunch the bottom of your hair to get out the excess moisture.

Curly Girl #3:

Always wash your hair in the morning! I find that letting your hair dry naturally in the morning opposed to sleeping on it wet will help eliminate frizz.

Curly Girl #4:

I really like tying my hair in a tee-shirt to let it dry or to sleep on it after scrunching for a while. It helps to get really nice, defined curls.

Gavi Klein

Brandeis '22

Gavi is a rising junior at Brandeis University, though she is originally from California. She is majoring in American studies and minoring in Journalism, Creative Writing and Italian Studies. She's a big fan of breakfast food, the New Yorker, and her dog, among other things.
Rachel Skolnik

Brandeis '22

Rachel Skolnik is a first year at Brandeis University. As of now, she plans to study english, art history, and possibly business. Her interests include walking her dog, reading, traveling, and many other things!
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.