Dressing for Success(ing)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Some people hate it and some people love it. It’s quickly evolved into this new craze that many celebs and regular folk alike have embraced with open arms or dismissed as unnecessary. I’m talking about Twitter. I am one of many who has a slight obsession with it. While I do enjoy venting about a long day or fashion crimes I see people committing, the part I enjoy most is “following” others (178 to be exact). The most important ladies and gentleman I follow are my favorite stylists. A couple of days ago I was on, naturally, and a particular tweet by Rachel Zoe caught my eye. 

She was responding to a question about an outfit, but not just any outfit… one to wear for the first day of an internship. Kind of a big deal considering you have one chance to make a first impression especially in the workforce. Ms. Zoe recommended “Chic trousers or jumpsuit + blazer+ close-toe heels” and to “add a thoughtfully-chosen accessory to show your style but nothing too distracting!” These suggestions are more relevant to those working more creative jobs where they have more leeway in terms of what they can wear. Rachel’s creative outfit suggestions got me thinking about my summer work attire… There’s nothing wrong with planning in advance, right?

Usually when it comes to dressing for my summer internships in the fashion industry, I stick with a printed dress or skirt with a colorful matching top and a pair of sandals. While am still a fan of some outfits I have worn in the past, I decided that it is time to change things up. I’m ready to sport simple and professional looks that are indicative of my personality yet are still work appropriate and on trend… I’ve assembled a list of new separates that I plan on using as inspiration for my work outfits. I present you with Adventurous Andrea’s Awesome Internship Attire. 

When I hear the word blazer, I immediately think of the typical gray or black suit jacket, which is definitely a necessity if you are working in a conservative and traditional field like banking or law. 

While it is always vital to dress appropriately, like Zoe said, you do want to show your style when you go to work. Even if you have to wear a boring blazer, still add your own personal touch whether it be in the form of a colorful scarf, bold necklace, or pretty pin. For the rest of you, let’s change it up a bit! I’m currently loving Forever 21’s Antique Studded Blazerthat is fun and polished. It is a pretty color that won’t get too hot on the warm days and keep you cool if you are working in an air conditioned office. (Bringing a sweater for unexpected changes in climate is always important). The studs add a nice touch to the otherwise mundane blazer, and are an accessory in itself, so don’t feel like you need to add a lot of jewelry to match. You can wear it with a dress, skirt, or even jeans, making it suitable for work and the weekend… what a win win!

When it comes to dresses, I don’t discriminate. I do however have some favorites, one of which is this ah-mazing Alice and Olivia one… It is a t-shirt dress, which means that the fabric is light and soft… the best part: It looks like separates but it’s all one piece! The combination of navy and white exudes a nautical feel, which is always on point for summer. The reason this dress is perfect for work is because it covers your shoulders. (The first few days of work it’s important to test out the way people at dress so airing on the conservative side is a wise move) and the length of the skirt is not too short… a double plus. 

I am always a fan of jumpsuits and rompers, just not necessarily on me. I haven’t had the most luck finding one to fit my body correctly. 

While I tend to avoid them for that reason, I just might have to try on another since this one isflawless… from the combination of the neutral colors to the fact that it still gives you a waist all make this jumpsuit a winner.  

If you are not the type who enjoys wearing skirts and dresses, then opt for a more casual look by wearing a pair of boyfriend trousers with a chic top. White pants (jeans or trousers) are essential for the summer along with a short-sleevedprinted blouse. The whole ensemble will look effortless and relaxed. 

While I was home last week for break, I did a little shopping and found the perfect pair of shoes that are going to be essential for my work wardrobe. 

These Dolce Vita sandals are nude, which means that they will go with anything. For someone who has such a difficult time finding shoes to fit, let me tell you that these are comfortable. 

You never know what your work day will bring or how long you will be on your feet… trust me ya don’t want to be that girl who wears heals on the first day and is stuck with band aids and blisters the rest of the summer. 

Whether you find your work fashion inspiration from stores, magazines, or twitter, just make sure that you stay true to your personal style while looking polished at the same time. You definitely want to be that girl whose co-workers are tweeting about your fashion hit rather than miss. 

Here are Five more Quick Tips

1. Plan what you are going to wear the night before– you ALWAYS need to be on time or early the first day
  2. Make sure your clothes are steamed and dry cleaned 
  3. Don’t wear anything too tight, short, or low cut—remember you are at work and not the beach
  4. Go light on the make up the first day
  5. Splurge on the mani-pedi (stick to a neutral color) and get that hair cut if you need it

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.
Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.