Style > Beauty

DIY Beauty Treatments (that you can do in your dorm!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
Just because we’re in college (and have a college student’s budget) doesn’t mean we can’t treat ourselves to a relaxing and rejuvenating spa day. Beauty treatments are an excellent method of stress relief and can be done with friends or solo (hello, me-time). Most importantly, they act as an awesome form of self-care – something that often gets left behind in the midst of college craziness. Here are some of my favorite do-it-yourself beauty treatments: 

1. Hair Mask

Simply apply your choice of natural oil (I love coconut, olive, and/or jojoba) to your hair. For best results, leave it on overnight (perhaps put on a shower cap to prevent breakouts and save your sheets). But 15 minutes works beautifully too! 

2. Yogurt and Honey Face Mask

Celeb facialist Kate Somerville recommends mixing yogurt, ground flaxseed, and honey for an instant glow. Leave it on for twenty- thirty minutes. 

3. Body scrub

Combine brown sugar and milk for an exfoliating body scrub. Works great for your legs, the soles of your feet, or your elbows. (Steer clear from applying to your face.)

4. Facial Toner

Brew some green tea and let it cool – bam, you’ve got yourself an awesome, clarifying toner. 

5. Eye de-puffer

Ever wake up with swollen eyes? No worries! Apply some cold  cucumbers (you can even stick them in the freezer for a bit) on your eyes. This is probably one of the oldest tricks in the book but there’s a reason for that – it works! 

6. Healing clay mask

This one’s my personal favorite face mask. It’s ideal for acne prone skin and really works beautifully! Mix a healing clay mask together with apple cider vinegar (it will bubble up like a science experiment) and apply to your skin for about 15-20 minutes (or until it dries). 

7. Apple cider vinegar hair rinse

The smell might be strong so is its powers! ACV works wonders for clarifying and restoring hair. Add some to a bottle and spray away. Leave on for about 20 minutes. 

Happy Spa Day! 

Becca is a health-enthusiast, writer, and college student. She is originally from South Florida and is currently studying at Brandeis University. She also blogs for Huffington Post, enjoys running + yoga, and lives for the beach.