Danielle’s Copenhagen Diary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

To summarize my experience in Copenhagen in one word, it would be Hygge. Hygge means “cozy” in Danish, which is emulated in every action, expression, and even the people of Copenhagen. Picture a room with many of your friends hanging out around a table with candles lit, lights turned down low, and a relaxed and calm mood encapsulating you. Everyone is talking to one another as a community, no one is talking over anyone else. Beer and wine is being passed around. This is a typical atmosphere when you are with your friends before going out or having dinner in Copenhagen. Going out is a time to hang out with friends and to create fun and enjoyable memories!

Within the last two months, so much has happened. I really feel a sense of home here. I have learned new things such as why Danes are considered the happiest people in the world: it is because they are content with life and each Dane lives with the rule that they are not better then anyone else. This rule projects itself in the government, which is a place I never thought it could exist. Normally I really do not like hearing about politics but here it is extremely interesting. Maybe it is because this country truly has the people’s best interest at heart and do not try to overpower one another to get their opinion out there.

Copenhagen is located in the heart of Europe, which has provided me the ability to explore nearby countries and cities. So far, I have just been on a 9-day trip to Salzburg, Austria; Ljubiana, Slovenia; Zagreb, Croatia; Budapest, Hungary; and Vienna, Austria. It was so much fun and a great way to experience different cultures and see stunning sights. In Salzburg, I did the Sound of Music tour, which was incredible because it is one of my favorite movies- the mountains are breathtaking. Ljubiana had a great atmosphere and I was able to cross out going to city I never thought I would go to off my bucket list. Zagreb has AMAZING food! Budapest was mystical to see at night and the baths were so relaxing. Vienna had great cake and an amazing nightlife. All and all, it was a great and memorable trip! Next on my European travels is Milan, and I am leaving this weekend. I love that I can do that! Overall this experience is life changing and amazing and I recommend anyone to visit or study aboard in Copenhagen.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.