Cures for the Post All-Nighter Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Struggling to stay awake after yet another all-nighter? Here are a few tips to keep yourself awake(ish).

Hydrate as much as you caffeinate

While we all, of course, have the urge to down multiple cups of coffee after a long night, try to drink an equal amount of water.

Bring on the B-12

Eat B12-rich foods like grass-fed beef or cottage cheese or, you can take an all-natural, food-based supplement.

Stay in the light!

Darkness leads to an onset of melatonin, which will make you sleepy. Keep your room lights on or try to be in spaces with sunlight.

Exercise

I know the last thing most exhausted students want is to work out… but getting your heart rate pumping releases endorphins that keep your body awake. You don’t need a full gym routine to accomplish this, and it’ll give you a subtle burst of energy to get through the day.

Avoid carbs

As tempting as it may be to have a junk food feast after an all-nighter, sugar and carbohydrate heavy foods will only give you a short-lived energy boost. Load up on protein-rich foods to keep yourself going!

(All PC: giphy.com)

Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.