This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

This past weekend, I was lucky enough to be able to bus down to New York City and enjoy Anime NYC at super discounted prices, and despite the constant fatigue in my bones and the possibility of me having caught Con Plague (more on that later!), I’m glad I went. I got to meet up with two of my best friends and meet some really cool guests, and it was the ultimate chance to get off-campus and live a little before everything ramps up into high gear for finals. 

This weekend was my sixth time attending a nerd convention, and Anime NYC is the fourth con I’ve been to (after Emerald City Comic Con and Sakuracon back in Seattle and Anime Boston here), so I have a few tips and tricks to make the most tiring weekend of your life worth it:

1. Operate in cash! This is one thing that I never really see people talk about, but it’s so important and I’ll swear by it forever. When I went to Anime Boston last year, I went to the bank the day before the con and took out some cash (I won’t say how much cash, because you’ll judge me, but it was a considerable amount) and that was my budget for the con. If I needed food or emergency supplies at Walgreens, I could use my debit card there, but everything inside the convention centre was cash-only. Not only does it mean you won’t get your card info stolen, but a lot of booths in the artist alley and dealers hall are still cash-only, even as mobile card readers are becoming more popular. The best part about it, though, is that you won’t go over budget accidentally, and even if you spend all the cash you brought with you, that’s still the amount you put aside for the con so you won’t feel as bad about it. 

2. Bring lots of snacks. When I was in high school, the week of the con, my mom would take my sister and me to Trader Joe’s and tell us to get snacks. Healthy snacks, not just candy and chips. For me, no convention is complete without dried mango and turkey jerky, but I also bring snap pea crisps, Goldfish, applesauce, Hawaiian roll sandwiches, the list goes on and on. (I tend to bring too many snacks, but that’s a good problem to have.) And when you’re at a convention, you won’t want to take time out of your day to go somewhere and eat a full meal (even though you should), so a school-lunch-esque smorgasbord of snacks throughout the day might just be the move.

https://pixabay.com/photos/comic-con-convention-centre-people-2228405/

3. On that note, don’t buy food at the convention center. It’s extremely overpriced and depending on where you are, there’s probably some fast food or a grocery store nearby. 

4. Schedule your weekend in advance. Keep an eye on the convention website for their schedule of panels, viewings, and autographs, and when it comes out, go through it and highlight the things you want to do most. A lot of conventions also use the Guidebook app, so you can see what’s happening in real-time. When you’re looking at events, though, make sure you leave yourself some time for food, walking around the dealer’s hall and artist alley, open rooms like karaoke and the arcade, and resting and recharging.

5. Bring a portable charger for your phone. Outlets are hard to come by. 

6. Pack light if you’re traveling. You won’t have time to do all your homework, and your computer is heavy. Remember pajamas, toiletries, and medications, but you won’t need three different outfits outside of cosplay.

7. Remember the 5-2-1 Rule. Some people use variations, like the 6-2-1 Rule or the 7-3-2 Rule, but the 5-2-1 Rule is the most common, and the sentiment is the same. 5 is for at least 5 hours of sleep every night—some cons end panels and events at 10 pm or midnight, but some are 24-hour ordeals and there are a lot of parties later at night as well. Please get sleep. 2 is for at least 2 substantial meals every day. As mentioned before, I go the “eat a lot of healthy snacks throughout the day” route instead, but either way, the keyword is healthy. Living entirely on coffee, chips, and green tea Kit-Kats isn’t sustainable. 1 is for at least 1 shower every day. If it’s hot or you feel particularly disgusting, shower in the morning and at night. And please use deodorant. Please.

8. Cosplay is not consent. Ask before you take pictures, and treat others how you want to be treated. The cosplayer is a person; they aren’t their character.

9. Wear comfortable shoes. If your cosplay involves heels, bring comfy shoes to change into. I wore my tennis shoes for all of Anime NYC and my feet are still sore writing this on Monday. 

10. Get some Vitamin C! Con Plague is a thing, and with so many people crammed into a small space, germs are bound to spread. Eat fruit, grab an Odwalla smoothie, or drink some Emergen-C before you head out for the day. 

11. HYDRATE OR DIEDRATE! Convention halls are hot, and you’ll sweat a lot. Bring a water bottle and refill it as necessary.

Hannah is a junior at Brandeis studying Music and East Asian Studies who hails from Seattle, Washington. Her hobbies include playing the viola, making oddly specific Spotify playlists, and rewatching The Untamed.
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.