Clayton Campbell ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Hometown:  Newport News, VA

Major/Minor:  Philosophy/Women’s & Gender Studies, Economics

I hear you’ve been selected as a judge for the Relay For Life Mr.Brandeis pageant. Have you participated in Relay For Life before? Why do you Relay?

I have participated in Relay in the past. I think it’s a great time and time well spent. I have many family members who have battled with cancer. I think this is a great way to remember them and help those who continue to struggle with cancer.

What activities are you involved in at Brandeis outside of academics?

I’m probably a little over-invested in my academics and don’t make enough time for other things. I am involved with a new group on campus called the Queer Policy Alliance. The group is working to help foster a more inclusive community at Brandeis for LGBT students. In addition, QPA intends to extend its reach outside of our campus to advocate for equality throughout the state through non-discrimination advocacy and lobbying.

What is your favorite class you ever took at Brandeis?

The best class I’ve ever taken was probably Professor Hill’s class called Race and the Law. The course went through the historical legal constructions of race and ended with commentary on the ways that race(s) are currently constructed, marginalized, and disenfranchised through the legal system.

In the Future…

What do you think you’ll miss the most about Brandeis after graduation?

I think I’ll miss the tight knit community of friends that I have built here over the past four years. I will continue to see and keep in touch with most of them, but the luxury of proximity is short-lived. 

What advice would you give to incoming freshman? 

Mostly to have a great time and not to miss any opportunities, whether they are great classes, guest speakers, or fun events.

What is your dream job? How do you plan to achieve it? 

My dream job involves some sort of political advocacy, progressive campaign, or lobbying group. I still don’t know… It’s probably time to figure it out!

Fast Facts:

What is something that most people might now know about you? Any weird talents?

I am a new uncle as of last month! I have the cutest nephew named Carson Mitchell. I don’t have any weird talents that I can think of!

What songs do you like to sing in the shower? 

Depends on who is home to hear me! Usually some Les Mis or some Whitney.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.